Boy's Life of Despair - Daily Life

Junko Enoshima was gone.

Physically, I mean. By the time I dragged myself to my dorm room and peaked inside, it looked as if Junko nor Tsumugi never even fought. No rotting corpse, no dried bloodstains, no broken furniture, no teared up carpet or wallpaper, nothing.

Like I told Ibuki in the elevator, I couldn't even bring myself to lie down in the bed. Just looking at the dorm room nearly made me throw up. There was no way I could bring myself to sleep in there. As idiotic as it sounds, I was scared that I would wake up to find Junko's bleeding body laying right beside me.

So I slept in Junko's room. For the first time since I arrived at Hope's Peak Academy, I slept alone, with no younger twin sister to kick me out of the bed in the middle of the night.

Back in Europe, when I was particularly stressed or in a lousy mindset, I would walk outside, lay down in the nearest patch of grass I could find, and listen to the chirps and buzzes of the bugs around me and attempt to classify their species purely based on what I heard. The chirping and droning of cicadas were always my favorite sound. Most people usually found it annoying, saying that they sounded like a constant screaming, and that you couldn't think of anything else other than how loud they are and how much you want the screaming to stop.

I guess I now know what they mean. There was a constant internal screaming in my head that occasionally became external. No matter how much I tried to take my mind off what happened today, my brain would not let me linger on another topic for five minutes before forcing me to face the reality of whatevs happening.

My sister is dead, and will never be coming back.

I can never tug at her pigtails to annoy her ever again. I can never rant to her about the life spans of beetles and bees ever again. I can never gossip to her about the romance scandals I overheard while at Fenrir ever again.

She can never feel that thrill she loves when she goes on a hit ever again. She can never call me a bug freak while hurting anyone else who calls me that ever again. She can never kick me out of the bed while she's sleeping ever again.

We will never embrace each other ever again. We will never hype each other up ever again. We will never complain about the other taking up the shower ever again.

"It's should have been me." I whispered through the ugly sobs being chocked out of me. "It should have been me."

I repeated that single phrase over and over until I passed out from exhaustion.

/\/\/\/\

I slept through the Monokuma announcement. That is, if you count waking up to it, flipping the monitor off, then immediately falling asleep again sleeping through it.

I didn't even fall right back to sleep. I was in that limbo where you're too tired to get out of your bed, but awake enough for the quietest sound to disturb you.

Thank god these walls are soundproof, I thought, or else I would be annoyed by hearing people getting up and moving.

I thought that thought way too soon.

The doorbell rang. Then rang again. And again and again and again until I psyched myself up to open the door.