Chapter 7

"The Best of Enemies"

Over the past few days, everything just seemed right when hanging out with Red. In the mornings I would go to his room, the beanie he had gifted me always on top of my head, and I would just wait. Was it creepy? Not really. I would occupy myself with cleaning up his room a bit without having to even touch it. When he woke up, he never really noticed it as he would just flip me off, telling me to go away. I never did though. I would wait till he got up and we would just hang out, quipping jokes at each other, or just finding something at the peak of lazy to do. With the few trees that rested around the house on the lawn, he had set up a hammock a while back that I didn't even know was there.

Nighttime was the time that the fun would end, he would retreat to his room around 9 pm, only coming out sometimes to go to the kitchen. Other than that though, I was utterly alone bored. So here I was, sitting at the kitchen counter, wondering if Red would come back for his favorite condiment. I didn't even notice the pattering of footsteps until they stopped right next to me.

"Y/N? WHY ARE YOU UP?" I turned my head towards the skeleton responsible. It was Blue, dressed in matching pajamas that were a light blue. It was cute. I shrugged at his question as my legs dangled off of the counter, going back and forth, even clipping into the cabinets under me. "WELL, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WERE DOING ANYTHING TOMORROW, YOU'VE... Been A Bit Busy With... Uh.."

"Red? Yeah, hanging out with him is cool." Blue's expression faltered slightly at what I had said. "Not as cool as you though." I grinned at the shorter skeleton, seeing his face grow into a faint shade of blue.

"R-RIGHT! SO, DO YOU WANT TO HANG OUT TOMORROW MORNING??" He looked so excited when saying that, it was difficult to even think of the word no. I stared at the skeleton, looking away as I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Actually Blue, I was going to hang out with Red tomorrow, we have to make some new clothes." The explanation was simple enough, but the look that he had given me was one full of betrayal. "How about the day after tomorrow?! I should be fr--"

"Y/N, DO YOU NOT LIKE HANGING OUT WITH ME ANYMORE?" His voice was as loud as ever, my ears adjusting to the constant vocal range, but it seemed weak. My lips pressed against each other in a thin line, not knowing how to respond. I can't just say, 'Sorry Blue, your brother is having a fight with me over you, he doesn't trust me and wants me to stay away from you or something! Haha!'

"I do Blue, I just don't want to bother you all the time." The little lie made my soul die a little inside, watching his skeletal features shriveled slightly, his blue eye lights turning away from me, his hands balling up against his pajamas.

"Right, Of Course." I watched as his shoulders tightened, trying to curl up on himself slightly before turning away. "Goodnight Y/n." Blue whispered the goodnight in a bittersweet tone as he walked away. Damn it, I really fucked up. I wanted to stop him, but I didn't. I abandoned him.

I bit the inside of my cheek, not able to feel any pain from it anyway. My hands reaching up towards the beanie, pulling it over my face slightly in shame, letting out a soft groan before laying down completely on the counter, my eyes staring holes into the window that showed the outside covered in darkness. Staying in my position, I watched time pass, focused on the counter I was laying on so I wouldn't fall through, the sky darkening before the sun showed its face once again, but it wasn't high enough to awaken the people in the culdesac. The birds didn't even begin to sing its song but I still could hear the shuffling of slippers head down the stairs. I raised my eyes towards the entrance to the kitchen, seeing a tall figure enter the kitchen before jumping slightly upon making eye contact with me.