Chapter 13: Pride

The commander was bored out of his mind. He'd been looking at the holographic table for a while now, and his eyes were red from the number of times he unconsciously rubbed them. It wasn't because the computer was difficult. He figured out the patterns which the computer defaulted to long ago, and now he was just playing with his food. He ran gimmicky fleets consisting of only destroyers and bled the computer dry over a painful amount of time. Which was only painful for him, since computers didn't have any irrational feelings like getting frustrated over a simulated game.

Sometimes he wished he was just a computer. Sit in the corner of an air conditioned room and a steady source of power, and do the only thing that he was meant to do. The burdens of everything else wouldn't matter then. Just solve puzzle after puzzle, worrying about nothing else. He thought that would be as close to heaven on earth for him.

Then he was disgusted with himself, and could not torment the computer enemy any further, so he left the battle room, back into the sunlight. But the thoughts did not leave, and prickled at the edges of his mind as he lay in bed in the middle of the day. He would've counted the dust motes shining in and out of view of the beam of sunlight cutting the dim room from a crack in the curtains had the place not been completely spotless.

There are many beliefs about the kitsune. Some are depicted as tricksters or seductresses, who employ their ability to shapeshift for their own perverted amusement. Others are faithful guardians, those who protect like a parent watches over their own children playing in the yard. But above all, they were wise and capable of the supernatural.

Amagi always enjoyed teasing others (especially Kaga when they were both younger) and no one could doubt that Amagi was fiercely protective of her family. But she could not conjure a rabbit from a hat, control the weather, and she was definitely not wise.

If she was wiser, then she could have been able to see how her sweet, rambunctious younger sister would turn out in her absence. If she was wiser, then she would have been able to prevent the tragedy which befell their nation from Akagi's desperation. If she was wiser, then she wouldn't keep making mistakes in the present, leaving regrets where they were instead of trying to fix them.

But at the very least, she thought, this was step one.

Amagi came to the door of the commander's quarters, and knocked on the door smartly three times. Even through the thick oaken door Amagi could hear the rustle of the Head Maid's dress before she opened it.

Belfast opened the door, but stood in front of it like a guard dog. "Good morning, Miss Amagi. I'm afraid that the commander is not in his room at the moment. You might have better luck at his office."

Amagi smiled. "It's a good thing then that I'm not looking for him. I wanted to speak with you."

Belfast blinked once, then stepped aside. "Then please, make yourself welcome."

Amagi walked inside, surveying the contents of the commander's quarters. If she didn't know any better, she would've thought that these quarters haven't been lived in by anybody at all. No dirty dishes in the sink. No telltale scent besides the fragrance of air freshener. All of this was taken in the time it took for Amagi to walk from the entrance to the table, where there was a stainless white tablecloth and a glass vase containing some water and three withering roses.

Belfast came by with a tray balancing a tea kettle, two cups, and a dish of varying biscuits. She poured the tea into the cups with nary a splash, passed one to Amagi. Amagi waited for Belfast to finish pouring her own, and she took a careful sip. Earl gray. Hot enough to feel the warmth run down her throat, but not hot enough to scald her tongue. Although not her favorite kind, still perfection.