Chapter 2: Imposters

"Ah yes. Our favorite resident talent seeker. I hope you have come bearing good news today."

"... not exactly."

"Oh boy. Bad news. My favorite. Do you know that bad news is — "

"Yesyesyes, bad news travels faster than the speed of light, yaddayaddayadda. Let's jump to the chase. I'm beginning to question whether or not this person truly exists."

"It's in the cards. Why wouldn't he? Or she? Gotta be inclusive these days, y'know."

"Please stop with the jokes. I'm trying to hold a serious conversation."

"You've interrupted my lunch. I have the right to talk about whatever I like. For about... another thirty minutes."

"Since when do chairs of committees have union mandated lunch breaks?"

"Since about... thirty seconds after you came in and started to talk."

"Have you read my report?"

"I have. Every scintillating page of it. I will say, however, that I didn't see how ten pages of complaining has to do with my lunch break."

"Sir."

"Yes?"

"I'm thinking of quitting."

"Interesting."

"I haven't been home in a while. I'm sure my wife is having a tough time raising two kids by herself. All I do is send checks home. Comprehendo?"

"Sí, yo sé. If you're looking for pity, you'll find it between piss and psoriasis in the dictionary. You think we don't run though fellas like you like someone with Crohn's runs through toilet paper? We know it's difficult. And about as fun as looking for a piece of hay in a stack of needles. If you want to go, we're not going to stop you. We'll find someone else. We always do."

"..."

"I will say, though, we still pay fairly. It's not like our work demands are unreasonable. So riddle me this: will you realize your so-called enlightenment and quit because it appears to be a fruitless task, or will you swallow your pride and just do as we ask?"

"Oh dear."

There were quite a few people in the audience. It reminded the Commander of the time when he was called up to the stage and asked a question. About recycling? Maybe a spelling bee contest? Either way, he couldn't answer. He'd frozen up, and there was dead silence for a good six seconds. The whispers of the crowd only began later than that. "Tension so thick you can cut it with a knife" is an understatement. Time had frozen for that moment, so that his brain could implant every single detail of that moment forever. Even now, if he closed his eyes, he could remember the number of skylights pointing down at him, blinding him, and making the audience nothing more than a mosaic of shaded figures...

But that was neither here nor now. He went to approach the podium and took a deep breath. Slowly, the background chatter died down, and attention was focused towards him. Some kept a passive expression on their face. But most others were curious. Belfast was near the back, with many other decorated figures, and had the same professional smile she always had. Laffey brandished a thumbs up and another bottle of cola.

He wore his best smile, and began.

"Do you plan on staying in that corner forever?"

"Maybe."

"How long?"

"Two days?"

Belfast made this grunting noise that was in between a sigh and a chuckle. She continued dusting the furniture in the commander's office.