Part 8

Where did he go?! He just can’t leave! He was dead! What?!

A small knocking sound came from the tiled wall behind me, I turned around… Nothing. Just the door way. The knocking came again, like someone was walking along the wall.

“Boo!” I fell down in shock, hitting my tailbone on the tiled floor, as a floating face appeared above me, Chris. He was grinning stupidly, lips stretched wide, flashing perfectly straight and white teeth. “Got you! Ha! Oh, sorry,” he floated down, the rest of his body reappearing. “I didn’t think I would scare you this bad, and I’m assuming Hyarlos found us and told you everything, I heard you guys talking, ” he squatted down to my level and chuckled “but in all seriousness, I’m sorry for losing control of my demon… and… dying. But I’m ok now. And thanks for the book.” He smiled again, and he helped me up.

“How are you feeling?... And no offense, but you stink.” I pushed him with my hand, touching the crusted blood on his coat and I could see blood cracking on his skin. His wounds were healed but he was still dirty, his face was smudged with filth and his smile made blood crinkle up around his mouth and eyes.

“I’m as good as new, even though I’m a little tired. I’m good. And about the smell, I’ll get cleaned up as soon as possible.” He studied his face in the mirror and flicked a piece of blood off his shoulder and started to wash his hands and face.

“Dude, that’s not going to get you clean. Look, I’ll go get you some clean clothes and then you can have a shower.” I left the room and got a towel, a giant t-shirt and my biggest pair of swimming trunks.

As I was walking back to the bathroom, I could hear people talking in angry whispers. As I rounded the corner, I could see it was Chris and Hyarlos.

“I was going to wipe her mind, and now after you told her everything, I guess there’s no point!” Chris whispered venomously, fire in his eyes.

“I highly doubt that you were going to do that, knowing you, but what was I supposed to do? You know I couldn’t just leave you for dead and leave this human to contact the authorities and ultimately- the media! We would all die! You know this Chris! We shouldn’t be in this dimension! We should be in our own! Not frolicking around with any human we like. I know you like this funny little place, but you belong with us. Not with them. You of all people should know that they will not accept any of us magic folk! If they found out our kind and the other kinds existed, all the races will suffer the consequences! We can’t risk even one person knowing who we are!” There was a heavy sigh and Chris sank back into the drained bathtub, rubbing his face with his hands.

“Knock, knock, I have a delivery.” I interrupted their conversation, presenting the towel and clothes.

“Ahh, Dolecy! I didn’t see you there! Join us.” Hyarlos stood to the side and let me walk in the room.

“Chris, here are your clothes. I’ll leave the room so you can have a shower and get changed.” I walked out, pulling Hyarlos by the sleeve of his cotton shirt.

“Thankyou!” Chris called out as I closed the door. “Uhhh…Which one is the hot tap?” he shouted.

“The one with the on the left! And there is soap in the drawers under the sink!”

“Thanks!” he shouted. The shower was turned on and we could hear Chris shriek. Hyarlos rolled his eyes.

“This boy will be the death of himself one day.”

                                ***

I woke up the next morning, the sunlight shone through the crack in the blinds and my alarm clock was going off. It read twenty past eight. Shoot, my roommate will be here soon. I have to get those boys out of here. I unlocked my bedroom door and rushed to the laundry and grabbed Chris’ clothes out of the washing machine to hang on the line, luckily his clothes were black, so the blood stains weren’t so obvious. Should probably wake up Hyarlos.

“Hyarlos I-“ he wasn’t asleep on the couch, his blankets were folded on the armrest and the pillow was seated neatly beside them.

“I’m in the kitchen!” Hyarlos’ voice came from the other side of the wall. I walked into the smell of something burning, a panicked Hyarlos wielding a flaming spatula and Chris hiding on top of the fridge, eating a whole tomato with it’s juice dripping down the front of the shirt I gave him. I grabbed Hyarlos’ wrist, took the spatula from him and stomped on it to put the fire out. He held onto the bench and clutched his chest, breathing hard. He looked up and squealed, voice cracking, “Don’t judge me, I’ve never prepared food before!”