A bit of a schism

“So where would he go?” Mary says into the phone. She’s come home to try to work out where Sherlock has gone before John does. She’s only managed a half hour lead on John, though, who’s just called to inform her of his disappearance.

“Oh, Christ knows,” John answers. “Try finding Sherlock in London.”

“Have you checked Baker Street yet?”

“No -- not yet.”

“Maybe he just wanted to go home,” she says, fairly certain it’s the last thing Sherlock would do.

“Maybe,” he says doubtfully.

“Why don’t you go talk to Mrs. Hudson? See if he’s been there.”

“Yeah, all right. I’ll start there. Greg’s going to talk to Mycroft. I’ll update you later. Bye.”

Mary already texted Mycroft, immediately after leaving Sherlock’s empty hospital room.

He’s gone. Do you know where?

As soon as she sends it, she felt a twinge of guilt; she was supposed to look after him. She’s failed yet again. But all Mycroft says in response is, No. He knows I know his traditional bolt holes. He’s unlikely to use them.

Sherlock has never confided in Mycroft, but there is someone else he has trusted in the past. After hanging up with John, she makes a phone call. Molly doesn’t answer, so Mary goes to find her in person. She’s sitting in the canteen at Bart’s when Mary locates her, and her eyes widen.

“Oh, hi -- you’re here -- why are you -- did you try to call me?” Molly stutters. “Sorry, sorry. I’m always leaving my phone places. I left it at home today, and -- “

“Has he been here?” Mary interrupts.

“Who? Sorry?” Molly’s being truthful; if she were covering for Sherlock, she would have known who Mary meant, would have at least hesitated.

“Sherlock. He’s gone.”

“From the hospital?” Molly goes pale. “But -- oh no! He really shouldn’t be up yet.”

“I know, that’s why I’m looking. Do you know anywhere he might have gone?”

“No, not really. I’ve never known any of his hideouts. Just the spare bedroom,” Molly mumbles, fiddling with her drink. “Well... my bedroom. We agreed he needs the space.” She gives an embarrassed smile.

“Is he still coming ‘round your place, then?” Mary asks.

Molly shakes her head. “No. Not since -- not for years. No. Sorry, that wasn’t helpful.”

Mary says. “It’s fine. If he comes by here, call me, would you?” She leaves her number with Molly, who promises to call -- “from a landline, of course, since I don’t have my phone, so of course it would have to be” -- if Sherlock shows up.

He won’t, though. She’s fairly certain he’s three steps ahead of her, at least. She hopes he’s at least four ahead of everyone else. She intends to close the gap.

* * *

She texts John. Any luck?

Not yet. Talking to Mrs. Hudson. No real leads yet. Greg should be here soon.

All right. I’ll stay put at home in case he shows up here, or anyone calls.

Good idea.

She makes a brief stop at the drug den where they found Sherlock and Isaac, hoping to find Bill Wiggins. She has a hunch Sherlock might have talked to him -- especially since he’s going to run out of hospital painkillers soon. When she fails to turn anything up there, her next stop is an address she looked up while at home: the residence of Philip Anderson.