Pharaon

The game consists of one standard deck of cards plus a full suit of another to make what's called the "betting layout." Kuroo also explained with a chuckle in his voice, that it's much more fun when played with more people. There's one "banker" and one "punter," and the rules differ depending on what role someone plays. But the main premise was to place bets on the card he thought would win. In the spirit of gambling, Kenma brought out the poker chips but put forth no pretense that they'd actually be playing for money. His guest made no claims to wanting money, either.

Kuroo continues to tell him of his travels with varying levels of excitement. The stories aren't told in any sort of order other than what piques his interest next. At one moment, he's talking about Toledo in the summertime two years ago and the next he's singing the praises of Paris, which he visited straight out of academy. He's seen so many places in two years. It makes little sense why he'd trade such adventure for Kenma and his quiet townhouse.

After three or so hours of intermittent playing and chatting, Kenma starts to understand the strategy of the game. As if he could call it a strategy. It's fully based on luck and the chance of the draw, but if he counts cards, he can narrow down which one to bet on. And when he's unsure, but feeling lucky, he can bet on the "high card". This is a bit riskier but it runs on fifty-fifty odds of the punter's card being higher than the banker's. For a gambling game, the odds are quite even. Despite that, Kuroo, playing as the banker and dealer, has won most of the games.

Kuroo draws the banker's card and sets it to the right of the betting layout. An ace of hearts. Scoffing, he draws the punter's card. Queen of spades. Kenma, who bet on the high card, collects his winnings. He doesn't think he's showing it, but his guest picks up on his elation.

"Let's go again," Kuroo smirks.

"What's this called in France?" Kenma asks as he shuffles the deck.

In a horribly inaccurate french accent, Kuroo says, "Pharaon. But don't ever play a Frenchman, he'll cheat you out of your inheritance."

Kenma hesitates at that word. He looks down at the cards in his hands, fully aware of the young man sitting across from him trying his hardest not to stare. The grandfather clock chimes midnight.

Slowly, he sets the deck aside and then goes about collecting the cards they used for the betting layout as well. "Are you staying with your parents?" He hates asking such personal questions but it's necessary.

"No, I'll be lodging elsewhere," Kuroo explains. He starts to help Kenma, realizing that he's about to be kicked out. "I only came to see you, to... make sure you're well."

"M-hm."

They tidy the room and while Kuroo puts out the candles one by one, Kenma gets the tea set together to bring to the kitchen. His hands shake, but he lifts the tray by its silver handles. The tea sloshes in the pot and in Kuroo's untouched cup.

He asked for tea yet drank none.

One lone candle remains, it's flickering light casts long shadows across both of their faces. "Let me help you," Kuroo offers his hand. "This is your house and I feel as if I've been a terrible guest."

Kenma walks past him and into the dark corridor. He knows this house well enough to navigate it in the dark. It's from years of sneaking about⁠—here, at school, everywhere. He hasn't ever done it intentionally but he memorizes places and always has a plan to escape. The same goes for people and their pesky conversations.

In a few long strides, Kuroo catches up to his host. He holds the chamberstick out to illuminate the now-sleeping household. "Other than Samuel, who stays here at night?"

It's true that a few of the staff permanently live at the townhouse. But, after his father's death, he had them travel south with his mother. She needs more upkeep than he does.

He remains silent on the matter, though, waiting for Kuroo to explain himself. What, exactly, is he getting about with this line of questioning?

As expected, he goes on to clarify, "I ask because I'm concerned, as your friend." This clarifies next to nothing of his intentions. Concern, goodwill, all these things are means to another end. And, in these times, greed plagues the central mind of the people.

Kenma stops at the kitchen door. The nights have been short as of late. Both because the summer sun hates to set but loves to rise and because of his poor sleeping habits. "Don't concern yourself with me."

He continues into the kitchen and sets the tray at the side of the sink. Kuroo remains in the doorway, candle flame shining on just half of his face. The way he bites his lip absentmindedly doesn't go unnoticed.

"You're one of my closest friends, Kemna." This time, he's the one to look away. "I will be lodging in town until the fall, then I..." He pauses⁠—hesitates, even. "It doesn't matter what I do after, but I would like to visit again. We can play more Pharaon. Or chess. Or Bezique, another French game I picked up. This one has much more strategy to it."

The idea of learning another game intrigues Kenma more than anything. Well, not anything, he would like to win enough games of Pharaon to come out even in the end. Gambling games like that are not his favorite, they're left to chance or cheating. He prefers skill. Strategic games like chess enticed him much more. Yet, he would still like to practice, he already has the poker face bit down.

"I leave for my family's villa next week," he explains. There's tiredness in his voice but he keeps his composure and suppresses a yawn. "I plan on staying for a month."

Kuroo's eyes flash with... melancholy in the candlelight. But he blinks and it's gone. "The weather in the south is magnificent this time of year, especially by the seaside. It sounds splendid."

They fall into a tense silence on the way back to the foyer. Kenma eases the chamberstick from Kuroo's grasp as the latter goes through the usual formalities. He leaves only after ensuring that he'd visit as soon as Kenma came back from his holiday.

"I do not have anyone to send a letter ahead of my visit so I hope you understand if I come around unannounced as I did tonight."

Kenma shrugs. What's one more unwanted guest at dinner time?

~

The morning of Kenma's departure, he finds a sprig of blue salvia in a bed of white clover on his doorstep. There's no note, nothing to indicate who left the flowers except a cat-eye ring fashioned onto a ribbon.

He tells Samuel to take care of it as he makes his way to his carriage, too preoccupied with thoughts of how to avoid the women awaiting him in the south.

***

Hey!

Here's a quick tutorial guide to the game Pharaon, now (in the 21st Century) called "Faro." I also don't specifically mean to link this YouTube account in future chapters, it's just a really helpful account that happens to have pretty good guides. I don't want to come off as if I'm advertising the channel or something.

Anyway, <3

-T