Chapter Twenty-One

They had to move quickly. Getting from the car to the perimeter was going to be difficult. Though Kyle's step-father was at work and claimed his mother likely wouldn't leave bed all day, they were in their home town. Harper was familiar with practically all of her neighbors, who would recognize her in a heartbeat if they happened to pass by on a morning walk or afternoon lunch break. The last thing she wanted was to be caught in polite conversation with anyone, or worse, for them to remember seeing her when the missing person's reports started coming out.

Kyle didn't seem fazed by Harper's new knowledge of his past. Within minutes he had returned to his usual self, relaxed and focused on what was to come. She felt awkward, like she was supposed to say something, anything to at least close the subject for now rather than letting it rot in the silence like an open wound. However, she decided against it. Now was not the time to finish their heart-to-heart, especially not when they'd have plenty of time to do so soon. Harper vowed to bring it up again, to express her condolences, to make sure that he was okay deep down- but she would not do it now.

"I have a go-bag," Kyle reached behind the driver seat and retrieved a backpack, so full it was practically splitting at the seams, "I wasn't expecting to be packing for two, so we might have to improvise a bit."

"If this would be easier without me, I totally under-," Harper couldn't finish her sentence before Kyle's hand was clasped in hers. He hadn't even spoken, but the shock alone of feeling his fingers against her skin cut her off. She couldn't bear looking at him as heat rushed to her cheeks, which she was sure were flushing a deep crimson red.

He squeezed her palm, "You don't get to run away that easy."

Kyle threw her a smirk and wink before motioning to her bag that rested next to her feet on the floor, "Empty that of anything you don't need."

Harper did as she was told, still in a daze while the touch of his skin lingered on her hand. She took out her school binders, saving only a single notebook and pencil for last resort entertainment. The folded pages about her father remained safely tucked at the bottom of her bag, and she took the tablet off of them before setting it aside as well. In the front pocket were various items she always brought to class: deodorant, breath mints, hairbrush, etc. They were included for emergencies, and she'd never had to use them before, but they proved to be essential now.

Kyle began to hand him items, splitting them between her backpack and his. There were water bottles, small snacks, toilet paper, and clothes that were at least three sizes too big for her petite frame. He really wasn't as naive as she'd thought, and she couldn't deny that he seemed to have thought of everything when it came to packing. There was a light mist in the air, but the rain appeared to have stopped, and Harper took a deep breath, knowing that it was time to move.

Each of them slung the bags over their backs, and she followed Kyle's lead. Harper kept track of their direction, making sure that they followed it the correct way once they got to the woods. Her house was east of them now as they sloshed through Kyle's backyard, drenched and puddled from the earlier downpour. Unlike her own home that sat right up against the perimeter, the end of his yard was met with someone else's property. She counted it out mentally; they would have to trespass twice and cross a single street in the time between. The best approach was to run through the lawns but pick up a natural-looking walk across the street. Luckily, Kyle had the same idea.

She was a foot behind him, but her reaction time didn't lag at all. As soon as she saw the first signs of his next move, she didn't hesitate. The two broke into a sprint before reaching the end of Kyle's property line, gliding in sync as the disrupted mud sprayed beneath them. Harper matched his pace, refusing to fall behind despite his surprising speed. It was clear that he'd run before. She didn't know if it was for recreational purposes like herself, or maybe out of necessity while he lived in the outer ring, but she could tell he had some experience. His strides were long and natural, persevering through the slosh that threatened to swallow their shoes at any moment.