Thanksgiving

Kate's POV

1 Week Later

Me and Carter after our kiss in front of everyone decided to take things a little slower, I mostly was for going slow since Julia now wanted me dead since she saw the kiss. She was one of the most psycho girls I have ever seen, and that's really saying something coming from me. But Carter had made it clear only had eyes for me many, many times. 

I still don't understand why Carter picked me out of all the girls, I noticed all of the girls swarming him after the game. Yet he ignored all of them and came up to me then kissed me, which I'm not complaining about. Thank god I'm not at that school anymore though, I can't even imagine how rude they all would be to me. 

Today is Thanksgiving and it's with Carter's and Blake's family, I haven't heard much about Carter's family. It seems to be a sore subject when I ask him about it which is fine, I'm the same way with my family, well birth family. But Blake's family I met after the big game last week and they were super nice and sweet to me. 

I was helping Dana in the kitchen while Jackson, Connor, Blake, and Carter were doing something in Jackson's room. Dana said their parents would be here soon, I was nervous about meeting Carter's family. We weren't dating or anything, but something about having my first normal Thanksgiving with them makes me nervous. Maybe I should just stay quiet and they won't think anything of me or better yet they won't notice me. 

***

"KIDS" Dana screams up the stairs, seconds after the boys come barreling the stairs and rush to the table. I sit next to Connor at the end of the table and across from Carter.  I felt Carter kick my foot and give me a reassuring smile, I nod and look down at my plate. Daniel did a small prayer before we started eating, the boys talked about football the whole time and I just spaced off as I ate. 

"So Kate, I heard your real dad was trying to get custody of you" I look up and see a scary looking older blonde woman looking at me, I knew it was Carter's mom but she looks nothing like him. "Uh yeah, my birth dad was trying but I think he pulled the suit. We talked and decided it wasn't a good idea" I explain feeling everyone's eyes on me. She scoffs and looks down at her plate. "But he is your real dad, why wouldn't it be a good idea?" She asks with a smug look, I look to Carter and see him glaring at her. "He didn't want Connor, and it's called a birth dad. The closest thing I have to a real father is Daniel" I match her rudeness and return the smug look. 

"That doesn't explain why you wouldn't go with your dad, Connor has a family. Last I heard he was calling Dana and Daniel, Mom and Dad." I really liked Carter but his mom is kind of a piece of shit. "Crystal quit" Carters dad growls at her. "You really wanna know why? Because he called my brother a fuck up, he killed my mother, he is an alcoholic. So yes I want nothing to do with my birth father, and Dana and Daniel are my parents and Jackson is my brother too now. I may not call them Mom and Dad but they took me in and gave me a good life. So excuse me for not choosing to leave my brother again" I blow up at the vile women and lean back in my chair knowing I won the battle. "You need to be beat" She growls. "You are a bit late to that party" I say cheekily. 

Connor is trying to hold in his laughs, Jackson looks shocked, Blake looks impressed, and Carter has his head in his hands. And all of the adults are glaring at Crystal, "Kate please excuse my wife" Carter's dad starts but I cut him off. "Thank you Mr Peters, but you shouldn't be the one apologizing." I give him a kind smile and look at my lap, I have never stood up for myself like that. It felt good not letting someone walk all over me. Connor grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. 

"Proud of you" He whispered, I smiled at him and let his hand go. I take a deep breath and let myself relax a little.

***