◑4◐

Chapter 4--Planning

Norman POV
I woke up before Mizu, who was sleeping in my arms in front of me. He had passed out last night so I laid him in my bed when he suddenly shot up.

When I asked him if he was alright, he grabbed me and held me like I would disappear any second.

By how how acted in his sleep, he probably had a nightmare of some sort.

He must've had one bad dream for him to have reacted like that. He looks kinda cute when he slee-No! That's Creepy!

I couldn't shake the blush from my face completely but I was able to tone it down. I sat up and laid his head in my lap. I watched everyone get ready happily.

How are we going to get everyone out of here...?

Some of the others came over. "Why's Mizu still sleeping?" Phil asked. "He's tired, he had bad dream and didn't get a lot of sleep." I explained.

"Oh, okay!" He smiled, being quiet so he wouldn't wake Mizu up. Soon, the others were downstairs getting Breakfast ready.

I felt slight shifting on my lap and looked down to see Mizu awake.

Mizu POV
I woke up to someone petting my head gently. My eyes fluttered open to see Norman looking somewhere else while my head was in his lap.

My face went a deep red as I looked up at him, he looked down and saw that I was awake. "Oh, Good Morning." He smiled at me.

"Good Morning." I said, slightly dazed. "We should go help get everything ready." Norman said and I nodded.

We got up and he walked past me, grabbing my hand and leading me with him. My face heated up once again.

God Norman, are you trying to kill me?!

I walked hand in hand behind Norman to the Dining Room. "Oh, Morning Emma." I waved and Norman did the same.

"C'mon, smile." Norman said to her.

"We need to act like normal. Yesterday, we broke the rules and went out to the gate but didn't find anything." Norman said as we stood in the testing room.

"But what about Little Bunny? Didn't we leave it there." I asked. "Mom probably found it but she doesn't know who left it there." Norman explained.

"Mom was smiling. She didn't show it on her face at all." Emma said. "And that's what we have to do too." Norman said and I nodded.

"We can't have Mom knowing that we know about this." I said.

"The good food, the snow white clothes where dirt and show easily, the same well-regulated life. And the strange Numbers on our necks." I began.

"It's all to maintain our quality as "Merchandise"." I said as I looked down at my feet that swung as I sat on the large windowsill.

"All we're supposed to do is wait to be shipped out indiscriminately." I said and then looked up at the other two.

"That would be the case, if not for..." I trailed off for them to connect.

"The fact that we aren't getting shipped out indiscriminately." Norman said and I nodded.

"Bingo! That demon thing said they were only shipping out "Average ones"." I started.

"Judging by that, Age probably effects the grade of meat. And the ages our siblings were shipped out were between six and sixteen." I continued.

"Meaning six is ranked as normal and the highest quality is- " I stopped once I took what I was saying into account.

"Sixteen years old." Norman finished. "Our test scores... Those have to play some part in it, otherwise why have us go through it?" I thought aloud.

"The order we get shipped out?" Emma said. "After we turn six, we get harvested starting from the lowest test scores." Norman explained.

"And when we turn twelve, we get shipped out no matter what." He added. "So we were never shipped out because we have full scores?" Emma asked.

"I still don't understand why it depends on our scores." I said before we headed out of the testing room and to the kitchen.

"Maybe the size of our bodies?" Emma asked. "No, that would depend on our weight." I explained.

"The size of our brains." Norman said and I tensed up. "But then that means..." Emma trailed off.

"The Brain tastes the best to them... To them, the bigger Brain, the better it tastes." I said.

"They don't care how much they risk or spend. We're high-quality merchandise." Norman added.

I turned to the two. "We have two months at the most. We need to make a plan for all of us to escape before then." I said, they both nodded.

I sighed. "Let's hurry, before Mom wonders what we're doing." I said and continued to get stuff from the shelves to prepare the food.

When we had playtime, we went into the forest to begin planning. Norman drew a map and we discussed our options.

We decided to escape during playtime since at night during shipping, someone we love would be killed.

How we would escape, that would depend on what's beyond the forest. We jumped over the fence and ran through the forest until we reached a large wall.

I looked up the wall as far as I could, whoever built this wanted to make sure that we would never get over.

I heard rustling to my side and looked at Norman trying to climb a tree near the top of the wall.

He began to fall and I ran over, catching him bridal style. "You alright?" I asked. He stared at me for a second before nodding with a noticeable blush.

I set him down and gave him a quick peck on the head. "Don't do things so reckless like that, okay? You're making me worry too much." I smiled and he nodded.

Emma started to climb the tree instead. "See anything Emma?" I asked her. "Nothing! But the wall looks a couple meters thick!" She yelled and I nodded.

"Smooth. Sturdy. No seams, cracks, rough edges, or holes of any kind. This was pretty well made." I noted as I brushed my hand across it.

"It'd be practically impossible for a normal person to climb it, let alone get over it." I added. "Then should we give up?" Norman asked.

"That's what it's meant to make us think. If it were us, climbing this wouldn't be a problem with a rope." Emma said.

"I don't sense any demons, the only one watching us is Mom. So there's no need to be scared." Norman noted, I nodded at his statement.

We heard the bell ring in the distance, signaling that it was time to go back inside. "We need to hurry!" I said to Emma and Norman and we ran back.