07 | Rose

For the last five days, we've been staying in the cabin. Every morning, I'd wake up and make us some breakfast. After breakfast, I'd help Ryder, remove his bandages and apply cream to his stomach. His injuries have gotten a lot better. He's able to walk more for longer periods of time, but I still don't allow him to make his bed or chop wood. It's too much of a risk.

The routine has been consistent every day. We past the days by walking through the woods or swimming in the lake. At night I make us dinner and we sit in front of the fire, talking. After that we each take a shower and go to bed.

It usually takes me a while to fall asleep. So I would lay in bed and look at the stars until I fall asleep. Today is day six since weve woken up in the woods. Which means we've most likely been missing for at least a week.

I must admit, it's been quite fun being out here with Ryder. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel free. No big brothers or dad breathing down my neck and keeping me cooped up inside the house. And even though I know I should be feeling bad for feeling like this, I don't. I do miss them a lot, but it's nice to do my own thing for once.

It's currently somewhere around midday and both Ryder and I are swimming in the lake and just enjoying ourselves. We've probably been swimming for the past hour.

"What are you thinking about so hard?"

Ryder's question snaps me out of my thoughts. He's drifting peacefully beneath an old tree that has grown over a part of the lake. He's only wearing a pair of basketball shorts, that for some reason unknown to me, he was wearing underneath his sweatpants the day we were kidnapped. I'm swimming in my underwear and Ryder's shirt.

"Stuff," I whisper with a cheeky smile.

I was hoping he didn't hear, but my hopes crumble when he perks up his head, staring at me with a devious smirk. From the few days that I've known Ryder, I have learned that, that smirk means trouble.

"Ryder, no. Dont even—"

Ryder wastes no time in swimming towards me. I squeal embarrassingly loud and swim in the opposite direction, or rather splash away. It's not that I'm a bad swimmer, but I was caught of guard.

For a few seconds I think I've outswam him, but then I feel two hands grabbing at my feet and dragging me backwards. Ryder puts his one arm around me, holding me in place and the other arm he holds in the air, almost teasingly.

"I couldn't hear you quite well. Could you repeat that for me, Rose?" Ryder whispers, teasingly in my ear. His fingers wiggle slightly and his arm around me tightens.

I shake my head and try to wiggle my way out, but it's no use.

"Last chance, Rose?"

Yet I still stubbornly shake my head, a big smile on my face. I know that no matter what I say, Ryder is still going to tickle me.

Seconds later a hand starts attacking my sides. I burst into a fit of giggles, struggling helplessly against Ryder.

"Ryder, stop please," I manage to splutter out between the laughter.

"Not until you say that you love me and that you don't know how you've lived this long without me."

If only he knew.

"Okay, fine. That you love me and that you—"

Another, more aggressive wave of tickles follows my words.

"That's not what I meant, Rose," Ryder laughs and continues with tickling me.

"Okay, okay, okay. I love you and I dont know how I've lived this long without you," I rush out breathlessly.