Chapter 3

Today was a relatively quiet day in the boxing gym.

My earbuds were vibrating from the bass of the song blasting through them, while my padded gloves slammed into the punching bag repeatedly. I kept time to the music gently bouncing in all directions on my toes.

Maybe I should go a few rounds with a sparring partner.

There was only so much the punching bags and jump ropes could do to improve my fighting skills and reflexes. I would need to start sparring soon, which conflicted with me avoiding the sparring room. I desperately tried to cling to the flimsy lie of not wanting to leave the equipment open for the new recruits...even though it was just two of them. The real reason was painfully obvious. I was minimizing my chances of running into Snake Eyes, and I managed to do a good job so far. It was nearing an entire week and no signs of the ninja.

Once I worked up a decent sweat I finally reached for my water bottle and towel. Without warning, the room was saturated in vibrant red light. It wasn't until I removed my earbuds that I could hear the alarm screaming.

"Shit!"

Luckily no one walked into the gym because they definitely would have been knocked out by the door slamming open. I ran full speed through the halls as I stuffed my towel and earbuds in my duffel bag. Without breaking my stride, I gulped down the rest of my water and free-throwed it into a nearby recycling.

"I found her! Her name is Anna de Cabaret. Baroness if you're feeling formal"

Rounding a corner and sliding to a halt I found myself in a briefing room. Computers surrounded the perimeter operated by techy Joes. In the center of the room, a hologram of a beautiful woman with black hair and wired rimmed glasses floated translucently.

General Hawk and the members of Alpha team turned their heads towards the noisy distraction.

"Well. Nice of you to join us Cheshire Cat"

General Hawk was the only person that called me by my entire codename, and it always made me feel like I was confronting a disappointed parent after being caught doing something I shouldn't have.

I concluded from his stern expression and the hands resting on his hips that he wasn't happy with me.

"I saw the alarm lights" I said. Feeling about two inches big. "I had my headphones in and I listen to my music loud when I'm working out but I di...."

It was like my mouth had a mind of its own and I couldn't stop it as it blabbered on from nervousness.

"Your team has already..." General Hawk spoke but I didn't catch much after those few words.

It was like someone took a remote and turned the volume down on General Hawk's voice until it was just barely distinguishable background noise.

My heartbeat sped up in my chest and I was frozen in place as I finally noticed Snake Eyes. His matte black frame leaned against a railing towards the back of the group with arms folded across his chest. Any other man would look relaxed in that position. However,, Snake Eyes gave off an intimidating and calculating aura.

He's probably going over the mission in his mind. He's paying me no attention.

My heart calmed for a beat from this thought. That is until the shiny black visor attached to his mask slowly turned to face away from the group...and right at me.

"Cheshire Cat!"

General Hawk's raised voice startled me out of my thoughts and I was yanked back to attention.

"Yes" I answered quickly.

"I said, your team is already on the move. They can debrief you on your way to meet them"