Shock Stone Empty

This is set near the end of season 2 after ‘Back in the Saddle Again'.

AN: I’m not a writer for Law & Order. So, it’s safe to assume that anything to do with the legal system was pulled out of my ass, not from facts.

Disclaimer: I own my OCs, that is all.

Chapter 1

He slowed his car down only when a sign alerted him that he had reached Stars Hollow, CT. He had broken a couple traffic laws to get here but couldn’t bring himself to care at the moment. Glancing around he noticed people gawking at the unfamiliar vehicle gliding through town but kept his focus on finding his destination. He let out a short sigh of relief when he saw it. He parked the car and, after shaking himself a bit more awake, made his way across the street.
He rolled his eyes at the annoying sound of a bell as he crossed the threshold. He strode forward and took a seat at the counter. He looked up when he heard a man opposite him ask for his order.

“Coffee would be great,” he said putting emphasis on the last word.

The man nodded and poured him a cup. “Anything else?”

He took a sip before answering, “I’m looking for Luke Danes, he owns this place. I'd appreciate it if you could point me in his direction.”

“You’re looking at him.” Luke said.

He blinked. He had expected that to be a little bit of work. “Where’s Jess?” He asked politely.

Luke sighed, “what did he do now?”

He was confused. “What?” He glanced down at himself and that’s when it hit him - he was wearing his uniform. He had left straight from the station not wanting to waste any time. He gave a dry chuckle. “No, it’s not like that.”

He stuck his hand out for Luke to shake, “Officer Liam Chang. I apologize for my lack of manners; I’ll admit I’m a bit off my game right now.”

Luke shook his hand but still looked skeptical as he pointed at the curtain, “he should be downstairs soon for school.”

He looked where Luke had indicated just as a boy emerged rubbing at his tired eyes.

Luke called his name to get his attention and nodded his head toward the counter, “This is-"

“Chang?” Jess interrupted with a smirk.

Chang smiled, “Hey kid.”

Luke was confused. “You two know each other?”

“I’ve known Jess since he was little, the neighborhood he grew up in is part of my district.” Chang explained.

“You look like hell,” Jess commented with a straight face.

Chang chuckled softly and indicated to the seat next to him, “come here a second.”

Jess walked over and sat down, then raised his eyebrows in a silent question.

Chang sighed.

“That bad, huh?” Jess asked with his usual smirk.

All amusement left his face as Chang turned to Jess and spoke in a serious tone, “a missing person came across my desk today, a parolee, one that I hadn’t been informed was out of jail on probation,” his grip tightened on the coffee cup still upset about it, “typically in these cases, either the person intends to disappear or seek revenge for being put away in the first place. We have no proof of it being the latter but we’re putting precautions in place to be safe. Which is why I’m here – it’s Greg Mathens.”