Souls In-between

27th September 2019
“EMERGENCY! EMERGENCY! MOVE! MOVE!” shouted Mr. Neville Jones Jr. who is running alongside the stretcher on which his son Graham Jones is lying unconscious due to a heart attack. Graham gets admitted into the emergency ward. Soon after, the whole family – 58 people of 4 generations led by 97-year-old Mr. Neville Jones Sr. arrived at the hospital. Mr. Neville Jones Sr. lost his wife a decade ago. He asked the family to pray for Graham.
Graham, 29 who is a smoker and a physicist, favourite grandson of Mr. Neville Sr.
“We can’t assure you anything. We best doctors in the nation are trying our best to save your son’s life” they assured Mr. Neville Jr.

10 minutes later.

Graham opened his eyes.
“Wow! The hospital is amazing with these grey colour animations” he said to himself.
Suddenly someone hit the back of his head. “Oww!” he shouted but he was not able to turn as he was standing on his head. There was nothing under his head. “You smoker little man” the words sounded like an old lady with a single tooth in her mouth. He realized the voice and thought it must be his grandma, wife of Mr. Neville Jones Sr., Mrs.Gracia Jones and he hopped his head to turn and got hit again on the head.
“Granny!!!” he exclaimed loudly.
“Welcome to the land in-between,” Gracia said with a grace in her eyes.
“Oh my god! Am I dead?” his words sounded shockingly.
“No my dear. But you are dying.” She continued “this is the place of people who are dead with unfulfilled wishes and temporary place for people who return to their life by some resurrecting process by those doctor guys.” She sighs “I hope you won’t be resurrected so that I would have a good company.”
“Wait a minute. You are saying that these people belong here have unfulfilled wishes? And people who will be rescued from being dead.” He exclaimed again.
“You just repeated what I just said.” She raised her eyebrows. “And you may be rescued or you may die with unfulfilled wishes.”
“So you are saying that..” Gracia interrupted “Hey there! Dumb man of physics don’t repeat it again”
“I am just 29 gran !”

“Babies die just before they even born and you’ve wasted 29 years of your precious life!”
“Oh! That’s right.” He continued “So I may die right?”
“I wish you die and have unfulfilled wishes so that you may join us as one of the Souls in-between.” She said to him.
“Souls In-between?” he raised his eyebrows.
“Yeah, we are the people in-between Hell and Heaven. Incase if our wishes are fulfilled somehow in the world we may join hell or heaven based on our wish” she took a deep breath and continued “Hell is black, heaven is white and we are grey.”
“Wait a min’ you wished me to die and join you here? May I ask why I shouldn’t be alive again?”
“I get a good company and we have a decade of matters to discuss with and who knows you end up being in hell and I end up in heaven? Or vice versa?” she grunted.
“That sounds good but selfish and inappropriate.” He replied.
“Maybe,” she said.
“You ended up here after your demise, so what is your wish?” he asked eagerly
“It doesn’t matter, you may die now and No one alive has the guts to fulfil my wish”

Graham feels something pushes him down.
“Whoa! What is happening now?”
“Ah, man! You will be alive now. The doctors are gonna rescue you by using that iron box stuff. I lost another company.” She frowned.
“Grandma, I will be alive now so tell me your wish and you will end up in heaven after I fulfil your wish down in the world.”
“You sure wanna do it young man?” she asked.
“Yeah, Grandma.” Graham starts to disappear “Gran, faster!”
“Tell my husband that his head smells like a COW DUNG!! No one was able to tell him that and I couldn’t tell him in my lifetime” she shouted.

Graham came into his senses and woke up fastly. Doctors grabbed him and asked him to take a deep breath. He composed himself and relaxed for a while. He murmured to himself “You won’t end up in heaven Gran!” The whole family was given permission to see Graham.

As soon as the old man entered, Graham shouted, “Grandpa, your head smells like a COW DUNG!” he shouted. Everyone cried in shock “Go to Hell Graham!!”
Mr. Neville Jones Jr. mouthed these words to Graham “That’s true…”
“I knew it Satan. I will end up here” Gracia pointed at Graham from the hell.