20. New Asgard

New Asgard had us travel all the way to Norway

The countryside was a nice change of scenery. It didn't lessen the writhing in my stomach, though. While I hoped we could bring Thor back with us, I had a personal mission of my own. Bruce and Rocket could handle the recruitment, I was sure.

Norway was not Asgard, that much was certain. While a different scene, the atmosphere felt very somber. The buildings were not up to Asgardian standard, not made in shiny, gleaming metals. There was no Bifrost bridge to admire. No castle belonging to the ruler of our people.

It wasn't exactly a modern city like New York, either. New Asgard had settled near waters, with buildings made of brick. Asgardians were at work, most in civilian clothes.

To think, I saw myself as an outcast for choosing to live here. Maybe this would've been my fate regardless, if they are here now. But they did not have a choice, Ragnarok and Thanos forced them to flee. Our home is gone, all that they knew is behind them.

Rocket, Bruce, and I hitched a ride in the back of a pickup truck. Due to us all crammed in, the bed of the truck was lower towards the ground than usual. I was more than happy to jump out from the cramped space once the driver stopped.

Up close, the somber atmosphere grew...as did the fishy smell, and the odor of salt water.

"Kind of a step down from a golden palace for an Avenger highness and whatnot," commented Rocket.

"Hey, have a little compassion, pal," Bruce scolded the raccoon. "First they lost Asgard, then half the people. They're probably just happy to have a home."

I would have been, had I followed this path.

Among the many Asgardians who had adopted a civilian life, one of them happened to notice our trio—particularly Bruce. She wore a grimace on her face, as though she knew him from a past time. Angry face aside, she had a fierce prettiness about her: darker skin, hardened dark eyes.

"You shouldn't have come!" she warned us.

"Ah, Valkyrie!" Bruce greeted her in turn. "Great to see you, Angry Girl."

"I think I liked you better either of the other ways."

"It's a lot," I agreed.

Bruce motioned to Rocket and I. "This is Rocket."

"How you doin'?" the raccoon said in greeting.

"I'm Kiara," I beat Bruce to the punch. I took a long look around. "This is all that's left."

"There's more throughout the town," explained Valkyrie. "But we're half the number we used to be."

I swallowed. "I know."

Valkyrie looked pointedly at the three of us. "He won't see you."

"That bad, huh?" asked Bruce.