Chapter 10

4 years earlier

I stared at the '+' sign on the test, hoping my eyes were playing tricks on me. No matter how hard I blinked, the result stayed the same. I hadn't been on my period in close to three months, but I had assumed it was from the stress rather than this.

"Clara, can you hurry up babe? I have class soon."

"Yeah just give me a second."

I frantically looked for a place to hide the test, choosing the box I kept my sanitary towels in.

"Clara?' I could hear his voice getting agitated.

"Yeah one more second Ja-" but he has already opened the door, just as I had closed the box.

Locking the bathroom door had been banned a couple of months ago, because when you're in an open and loving relationship, there's no need to lock the door and hide away. At least, that's what James had told me.

"What was taking you so long?!"

"I started my period, s-"

"Clara, what have I told you about talking about that to me? It's gross and I don't care. Just don't leak this time - it's fucking disgusting."

"Okay."

James ushered me out of the bathroom, locking the door as I left. I moved into the lounge, holding my breath in case James found the test. I heard James unlock the bathroom door, and his footsteps enter the bedroom. I let out a sigh of relief, as he entered the lounge.

"See you later."

"Bye."

I heard the door shut, and checked out the balcony window that he was walking towards to campus. I ran to the bathroom to check, the test was still untouched underneath the towels. I grabbed the box and chucked it into my holdall, as well as any other items that were of somewhat importance to me. I threw some clothes on top to hide and protect it all, and zipped the bag shut. I grabbed my phone and called Scott.

"Hello?"

"Scott"

"Clara? Hey how's it going? How's the second year of university going? Got any plans for Bonfire Night to-"

"Scott I need you to come to Lancaster. Today."

"Today? Clara I have a meeting in two hours and I'm meeting up with Hugo for drinks tonight."

"Scott, please." I begged, and Scott caught on to the urgency in my voice.

"Clara, what's wrong?"

"It's... it's James. I need to leave."

"Where is he now?"

"He left for a lecture around ten minutes ago."

"What time does he get back usually?"

"3pm."

"Okay. I'm on my way. Are you going to be okay until then? Do you need me to call the police?"

"No! No police. I'll be okay"

I could hear Scott close his car door and the engine starting. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Can you meet me at Rosehill Park?"

"Rosehill... yeah okay. Clara, I wish I could stay on the phone but I need to call the business I have the meeting with and Hugo."

"It's fine - I'll see you around 1:30pm at Rosehill, yeah?"

"Yeah. Clara? Please be careful."

"Of course. Bye."