Chapter 4

I got up only to realize that it was almost noon. Turns out I still have my bad sleeping schedule that I can't get rid of no matter what. I can never wake up early on my own even if my life depended on it.

I washed my face and went down to the inn to get some food. After receiving my order, I sat down to ponder the happenings of last night.

Flashback

After settling into my room, I
played my flute and waited for the 'weird noise' that the villagers heard. I don't realize the time since I got carried away playing song after song.
After fluting a particularly high pitched note, I frowned.
Since when did this flute get so screechy? I was sure that I didn't blow that hard nor can my fluting turn so bad in a few minutes.
I was about to blow the same tune again when I heard a loud screech.

Ah so there it is. I knew it wasn't me. That has to be the sounds that these villagers are talking about. Aish why is it so loud and screechy? That is very annoying. It should be about midnight now so I've gotten carried away and forgotten my purpose of staying here.

I forced my poor ears to stop ringing and focus on the direction the screams are coming from.
That sounds like someone is wailing. Definitely a trapped spirit but the question is why.

The wailing lasted for about an hour and I've figured out the general direction the sound is coming from. That was torture but I can finally sleep. How can these people survive so long with these wails?
I need to help them solve this problem so peace can be restored and save there poor ears.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So you can imagine why I need to figure it out. Even though it will be terrible if I have to live through those wails to solve this problem, I couldn't help the smile that creeped up my face. Finally some adventure.

I definitely would have gotten into trouble if this didn't come up. I can't keep to myself at all. I paid for my meal and went on my way towards the south where I heard the noise coming from.
It wasn't long before I came across a stall selling wine and being me, I couldn't resist. I bought a few bottles to keep since I don't know when I'll get again. I took one, opened it and began to drink. The rest took home on Lil Apple.
The wine wasn't as tasty as Emperor's Smile but it will have to do. I missed Gusu to be honest. I don't know if it is the company of being with Lan Zhan, Shizui and Jingi or the Emperor's Smile. Most likely half and half.

I chuckled at the memories of my time in Gusu and when I came out of my reminiscing, I realized just how far I travelled.
Lil Apple had improved his speed since the apple incident. Once again I smiled, this time sadly as the memories of that time replayed infront of me. I shook my head. I still can't grasp that I insulted my nephew in the most hurtful way.
Even though he told me it wasn't a big deal I still felt guilty for saying the very thing I swore to kill anyone for saying.
I wanted to slap myself again for how stupid I was.

After continuing for a little while longer I stopped to ask questions to some of the villagers.

"Hi jie, (sister in chinese) do you know if any strange incident occurs here?"

She explained the same thing about the wailing and didn't have anything extra to add. I asked her something else.

"Are there any abandoned homes or buildings in this area?"

"There are a few"

"About how many?"

"In this area there are around ten. Why?"

"I'm just curious. Any abandoned or became vacant lately?"

"Yes two of them. One became vacant about a month ago and it's right around the other street. Not very far from here. An old man lived there but since no one saw him anymore we assumed he moved away to another area. And the other became vacant just under two months ago. No one knows what happened to the occupants but we just stopped seeing anyone in the yard. It's not far from the first one and it's bigger than all the houses in that area. It's easy to find if you're looking for it."

"Thanks Jie. Does anyone living in that area know anything more?"

"No one is occupying the area since they are scared. That is where the noises come from but it always sounds magnified so no one can identify which house it comes from."

"Thanks so much Jie. Have a good day."
I thanked her and continued to move forward.

New information. And more importantly there are two different parties involved. Two houses have been suspected. Lets see how this goes.

A/N
Enjoy and don't forget to vote 😊