Chapter 9

The next day I wandered down the familiar pathway to the houses. My goal today was to comb through the entire house from top to bottom. It might take a while since it was the bigger of the two houses but I am determined to leave this house with more answers as I am starting to like my hearing for more than just necessity. As the gates to the yard came into view, I paused to observe. Just to gather a basic feel of the energy and see what I can figure out by the outside. 

Hearing nothing out of the ordinary, I strolled into the yard. It looks fairly ordinary and normal on the outside, well for an abandoned manor at least. Flowers that wilted and drooped with grasses and vines taking over their dead stalks. What I assumed used to be neatly trimmed hedges were wild and out of shape while the floor was layered in dead leaves, previous occupants of the many trees bordering the premises. I walked around the yard setting tailsman in my wake, but they weren't disturbed. These aren't too powerful as they are only designed for recognition purposes so I wasn't surprised. A door in the back of the manor was boarded and there was energy coming from it in very light waves. I wonder what could cause that. Energy of that sort only came from living bodies. Blasting the door apart wasn't an option because I don't know what lay behind those boarded doors. 

If it was someone who managed to survive the time here, then getting to them now was a priority. I surrounded the area with protective tailsman and tried to gauge how big the energy field was but it wasn't showing now. My core was still weak in this body and it was starting to become a great hindrance. My only hope was tailsman and even that I don't have in large amounts. Materials were limited here and it also depended on your core. The stronger your core, the stronger the tailsman. That's going to have to be something I work on. 

Unable to do anything else for now, I left to the front and began searching through the manor. The front door opened easily and I walked in. No sign of a fight was present and everything looked to be in order. Neatly arranged but covered in a thick layer of dust. Moving to the other room, it was the same. As was the kitchen. No external force or apparition was detected and I couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary. This was going too calm and I know how these end. Unlike the last time where the house was in a mess, I knew this was what I am looking for. This was definitely where my answers lay. Though nothing physically was confirming it, my sixth sense knew I was about to be surprised. After covering the first floor with nothing suspicious, I moved to the second. 

These were rooms and from the outside, it was fine. I entered each of the rooms and there was a few disturbed furniture in two of the rooms, almost as if a slight struggle happened. Not much to give a complete painting, one chair overturned here and a painting on the floor there. What surprised me the most however was the lack of personal items that could help to identify who lived here. No family photographs, books, clothing, perfume or even makeup items. 

The final floor was more open than the others, probably used as a practice ground judging by the targets set up. The place was undisturbed and empty, so nothing was present to the naked eye. I allowed my energy to dart over the entire area as I did with the other floors but this time, I was shocked at what it was picking up.  This was a tragedy. How did someone manage this without causing a big scene?

A/N

As promised, here is the update. Hope you guys enjoy.

Check out my latest book, I think you'll love it.