The Wedding

"Oh, Aerys," Juniper sighs dreamily as she drops my veil into place. It's the big day, the day my life changes forever, the day I exchange my family name for the name of a family I did not know existed a year ago.

The day that, if everything goes according to plan, changes everything for my grandmother, as well.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, and it has very little to do with the wedding. I couldn't care less how I look right now. I'm more worried about tonight, and dealing with Xenia de Poitiers, and how this will affect the war.

"You look absolutely beautiful," Juniper continues, trying to shake me out of my reverie. Kyla, Malina, and Torcuil's sisters stand nearby, voicing their agreement while making the last minute adjustments to their own dresses. Kyla comes up to me with tears in her eyes and crushes me in a hug.

"I'm so glad I get to be here to see this," she whispers in my ear.

"I wish I could have been present for yours, to return the favour." Maybe I'll get to do it the second time around, if everything goes according to plan.

"Don't worry about that now. Today is your day." I smile at her, trying to act like this makes sense to me. But really, nothing has ever been all about me. This is as much Dmitri's day as it is mine, and really, more than anyone else's, this is Xenia de Poitiers's day. After all, she arranged the whole thing, even my very existence. This arranged marriage is perhaps her greatest triumph. A pity it has been undertaken with such haste to foil her other plans. I dare not say that she won't see it. Although we did not invite her, I am certain that she has her own ways of seeing with more than just her eyes; if she wants to be present, she will be, no matter what anyone says or does.

"All right, ladies. It's time," Juniper announces. We've been getting ready in a special room next to the chapel, which is quite large for a family chapel and actually holds all of our guests comfortably. All that's left to do is to go out the door and await the music that will accompany our trek down the aisle, which has been transformed into a glorious fabric river with fresh foliage and fiery flowers along its banks.

Juniper opens the door and gasps as though she has seen a ghost. I rush to her side as quickly as I can without damaging my dress. A shocking chill runs through me. Xenia de Poitiers herself stands outside the door.

"Glad to see that you are complying with my wishes, Granddaughter," she says in an icy, calculating tone. "I hope this portends that you and your family have seen the wisdom in complying with my other wishes, as well."

"Welcome, Grandmother," I greet her with a curtsey. Kyla, Malina, and Torcuil's sisters follow suit. "Perhaps this is a better topic for discussion after the ceremony, when we can speak with Dmitri and his parents, as well?"

"As you wish. Is there any particular reason why you did not see fit to invite your grandfather and me to this most sacred event?"

"Only that I thought you would be far too engrossed in your preparations for the war at hand to bother with ceremonial doings of any sort. Forgive me for my wrongful assumption. I truly did think to have your best interests at heart." I hate this evil creature more than ever at this moment, but I hide it well beneath a veneer of submissive repentance as she eyes me sceptically, trying to determine whether or not I speak truthfully. I do not believe she will do anything terrible to me, not now. I'm still too important to her schemes, and the wedding has not happened yet. Behind me, I know Kyla is frightened beyond all measure and trying desperately to hide it, perhaps supported by the more fearless twins; Malina will be trying to reassure Juniper, who is no doubt white with fear and trembling violently.

"Next time, perhaps you should ask, instead of assuming. But no matter. We are both here now, and we are very happy for you on your special day. Congratulations on your good fortune." Her smile is cold and malicious. She believes there is no 'good fortune' about this, only her own scheming. If Dmitri and I did not care deeply for each other, she would be right.