Getting Along

Over the course of the next few months Levi was determined to get back into good physical shape. There was nothing he could do about his knee. He would always walk with a limp even without the cane, yet somehow the doctors were even impressed with that. From what they believed it should have been much worse. He could have required a brace which would probably look like a maneuver gear harness for his leg. Thankfully not.

He would do light military workouts in his room just to build up his strength. It didn't help with the pain but it didn't make it worse as long as he didn't over-do it. Levi kept busy helping with meals in the kitchen, as there were quite a few people living in this shared house. He helped Miss Kiyomi's people out in the tea field, weeding the rows and carefully tending the shrubs. As they grew bigger they required more water, and certain parts could be harvested and dried for tea-leaves.

Kiyomi showed him exactly how to do that. She instructed him on all of the basics and he was intrigued to see how complex it could get. He'd held a love of black tea all his life and suddenly he was learning more about it than he ever contemplated knowing.

The woman insisted she was no expert at this, but he would have thought otherwise. Still, she'd tackled the learning curve by consulting with other farmers in the area around Shiganshina and also tracking down documents on the growing seasons, temperatures, and other important factors. All her bases were covered and a large drying shed had been built just for the work once things were harvested. She had back-up plans for this enterprise, should anything happen. The woman was determined to bring money into the household.

"Looks like we're both learning something new, Miss Kiyomi," he remarked in the kitchen as she was mixing herbs for a tea blend. It had some sort of little flower petals in it from a corner of the garden patch, among other things.

"With the right amounts of other ingredients you can add new flavor notes to the tea. This used to sell well back in Hizuru," she informed him, but her voice wavered a little on the last word. That place had been trampled to the earth along with everything else on the mainland. The only reason she was alive now was because she'd been on Paradis with a handful of her employees.

"It will sell well here too. I have a good feeling," Levi assured her. The kettle was done on the cook-stove. He used some of the tea blend she had just made and got a pot steeping so they could try it.

When he sipped from his cup he paused a moment. "...That's really good," he remarked with approval. "I like that."

"I'm glad. If you had any money to your name, I know you would be my best customer," she remarked with a chuckle.

They were unaware that Gabi and Yelena were observing them from the kitchen doorway with intrigue. "They sure get along well, don't they?" Yelena muttered.

Gabi just nodded, wondering if there was something special going on between the two. The captain seemed quite content lately. Levi caught them in the corner of his eye and frowned at the girls. "You just nevermind," he warned.

Gabi laughed nervously. "We weren't spying or anything. We collected the eggs and were bringing them in," she excused, showing him the basket in her arms. She came in and set it on the far counter.

That seemed to be Yelena's lonely little venture. She mostly kept to herself and tended a flock of chickens and turkeys, which provided meat and eggs for the house. Any extra eggs she took into town and sold at the market. She may have been unfriendly but nobody could accuse her of being useless.

"Good morning, Yelena," Levi made sure to greet her politely.

"Good morning, captain. How's your lovely face today?" she taunted.

"It didn't break the mirror this morning. How is yours?" he retorted smoothly, sipping his tea. No response. Good, try to keep the usual shit-look off your face, you tall tree...I don't feel like clashing with her today, Levi decided. "How are market days? You're doing well?" he asked sincerely.

She lowered her guard a little. "Well enough. I have regular customers I can count on, and a couple people who will buy up everything if it's not selling. I think they have restaurants to supply."

"Good to hear. You know, we all appreciate your hard work, make no mistake."

Gabi nodded in agreement.

Yelena smiled just a little. "Thanks, you guys. That helps."

Hearing her house-mates voice their support put her in a good mood for the rest of the day. Some time later Levi heard her whistling a tune out in the yard as she picked some grass and clover for her birds. Just proof that a world run by kindness was a much better place than one ruled by bitterness and hatred.