𝟏|| 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄

⇢ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ⇠
❝ᶜᴿᴱᴬᵀᵁᴿᴱ❞

You yawn as you take a look at the time. It was nearly 2 in the morning, and you had stayed up late once again reading about japanese folklore. There was something about these gods of death, Shinigamis, that you couldn't stop thinking about.

You stretch your arms and look around the room. It was small, and you didn't quite like cramped spaces, but you didn't have much of a choice. It was either this or your parents' house.

You and your family didn't get along very well. Your mom was almost never home, while your father didn't even bother to acknowledge your existence. Your older brother cut all ties with his family - not that you could blame him - but he never considered checking up on you, so you hated him as much as you hated your parents.

Your parents may not seem involved in your life, but whenever you set a foot wrong, they'd be the first to point it out and bash you for it. You hated it. You liked having your freedom, but with them around you, it was just not possible. So you took the matter into your own hands, saved up money and moved.

I'll just read one more chapter, you think to yourself. But you drift to sleep before you get to finish half of it.

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

You rub your eyes as you close your locker.

"Did you stay up til late reading again, [Y/N]?" you hear your friend Mayuko say. "Honestly, I don't understand why you're so obsessed with these creatures, what were they called again?" you open your mouth to answer, but she cuts you off before you can say anything "It doesn't matter, they're not even real. Seriously, [Y/N], we haven't hung out in so long, I miss us spending time together." she pouts in an angry tone, crossing her arms.

You turned and observed her. She had silky, straight dark brown hair that reached her shoulders. She was rather short, but she was very pretty and she had many friends, unlike you. However, she preferred your company over anyone else's, for some odd reason.

"I thought you said you don't want to go out because of this Kira situation," you ask, grabing your bag and starting to walk to your next class.

"I know, I know, but since the police figured out he's after criminals only, it's not that big of a deal anymore." Mayuko puts her hand on your shoulder to stop you. "Let's go watch a movie together this evening, pleasee?" she begs you.

You sigh in defeat.

"Fine."

The brunette then jumps in excitement, starting to make plans.

≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋≋

You walk down the hallway. It was quiet, not many people were inside the school during lunch break. Most were out in the courtyard, enjoying the fresh air.

Nose buried in the book you were reading, you barely noticed someone bump into you until they steal it from you, holding it above your head, just out of your reach.

"Yagami-San! What are you doing? Give me my book back!" you say, trying to reach it, but to no avail.

He smirks.

"Hmm, let's see, how about only if you-"

While he's thinking of an answer, you take advantage of his incautiousness and quickly grab his bag and run off with it. I can play your little game, Light, you think to yourself.

You open his bag and start rummaging through his books, when you come across a strange-looking notebook. It was all black, and quite thin, only 2 words written on the front. You stop and take it out, turning to Light.

"Death Note? What is this, Li-" but as you look up you see a huge figure behind Light.

Your eyes widen as it looks straight at you, with its bloody red eyes. It was big, about 8 feet, very pale and very thin. It used its weirdly-shaped black wings to stay above the ground. Its mouth was large, and its blue hair was frizzy. It was dressed all black, a weird belt around his waist, a few rings and 2 bracelets on his wrists. You open your mouth, but nothing seems to come out. As you examine the sight before your eyes, you realize what the creature really is.

"S-shinigami?" you mutter to yourself.