farm boy.

Julia knocks on the wooden door leading into the house before her. The house was the official residence of the Cuthberts and Julia was beyond excited to see Anne.

Marilla was the one who answered the door and she informed Julia that Anne was in the barn with the horse and cows. Turning around, Julia ran to the barn but instead of Anne, she was met with a boy her age with light brown hair.

"Oh, hello." Julia smiles at him.

"Uh...bonjour." He greets, slightly taken aback by her presence.

"Tu parle français aussi?" [you speak French?] She asks the boy, surprised, and he nods.

"Oui. Mes parents sont des immigrants de la France." [ Yes. My parents are immigrants from France.]

"I'm Julia Smith, but my friends call me Jules." She stretches her arm out to shake his hand. Hetakes his glove off and shakes it. His rough palms scrape Julia's soft ones but she pays no mind to it.

"I'm Jerry." He nods to her, taking his hand back awkwardly.

"Jerry...has a nice ring to it." Julia nods and she watches as his cheeks turn a slight pink.

"Tu es la plus belle fille que j'ai jamais vu." He commented, grinning.

Julia laughs. "Merci beaucoup. 

 "Pourrais-tu me diriger vers Anne s'il vous plaît?"

"She's up in the rafters." He looks up to the top of the barn where she can just make out a hat in the hay and soft snoring.

"Thank you Jerry." Julia says to him, placing a hand on his shoulder as she brushes past him. Hewatches her climb up the ladder and kneel next to Anne.

"Anne Shirley." Julia whispers, tapping her friends face.

"Jules?" Anne asks sleepily and Olivia nods. "Oh goodness! I was going to make tea and biscuits for you butI must've fallen asleep while talking to Jerry!" She gapes, rubbing a hand over her face.

"Oh yes, that's Jerry." She says mentioning to him who chuckles and waves.

"Yes, we've met." Julia clarifies. "You never told me you had a cute farm boy."

"I didn't find it to fit the game we were playing." Anne shrugs. "And you think he's cute?"

Julia nods. "Don't you?"

"You know I hadn't really thought about it." Anne thinks about it for a moment. "I suppose he's not horrible to look at." All while this conversation was going on, Jerry was forking hay with a wide grin on his lips.

"What would you like to do first?" Julia questions, helping Anne up.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" The ginger asks, putting her hat on her blazing hair. "You are my guest after all."

"That very true Miss. Cuthbert." Julia nodded, her wavy hair bouncing with the motion. "How long does Jerry work for?" She asks, looking at the sweaty hardworking boy below.

"All day, every day." Anne answers.

"Do you want to give him a break and serve some tea?"

─◌✰್

"So Julia," Jerry starts but she cuts him off.

"Jules."

"Yes, Jules, where in France did you live?" He asks, wiping his hands on his pants.

"Lyon." She tells him, pouring tea in his cup. The group was sitting around a wooden table, under a splendid blossom tree.

"I've never been but I heard it's beautiful there." He says, eyebrows raised and a smile on his lips.

"Oh it is!" Julia sighs. "Will you be joining us at school tomorrow?" she asks, taking a sip of her tea.

"I don't go to school" Jerry shakes his head.

"Why not?" Julia asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

"If I could, I would, but I need to work for my family"

"How about I make you a deal." She says, leaning in closer to him. "I'll come over here every once in a while and teach you what we learned."

"Would you really?" He questions, perking up and wiping his mouth.

"Of course! What're friends for?" She smiles at him.

"In fact, let's all make a promise to be friends and stick by each other forever and ever" Julia sticks out her pinky finger and Anne quickly joins in. It takes a moment but soon Jerry locks hispinky with theirs as they tie the bond of friendship.