Leprechaun

Mythical Creatures

Leprechaun

The Leprechaun is one of Ireland’s more famous characters from Irish folklore who have become renowned all over the world. The mischievous Leprechaun has captured the imagination of millions of people over the years and there are tales from some of how they’ve sighted these wee folk in the Irish countryside.

Explanation of Leprechaun

The Leprechaun is part of Irish mythology and folklore that fall under the topic of the Faerie folk, also known as wee folk or the little people. They are members of the Tuatha Dé Danann who invaded Ireland and were banished to live under ground.

Standing 2-3 feet tall Leprechauns are a devious character who are quick witted, highly intelligent, and will do anything to evade capture from humans.

As a cousin of the Clurichaun, the Leprechaun is known to inhabit Ireland before the arrival of the Celts and can survive hundreds of years. Some consider Leprechauns to be the true natives of Ireland who are descended from Irish royalty.

Origins

Most Leprechaun legends can be traced back to the 8th century tales of water spirits which were known as ‘luchorpán’ which means ‘small body’. It is said that these spirits merged with a household fairy and developed a penchant for heavy drinking so no cellar was safe! According to other researchers, the term Leprechaun actually comes from the Irish term ‘leath brogan’ which means shoemaker.

It is interesting to note that Leprechauns are often associated with wealth, particularly gold coins, but they are actually cobblers which you would hardly presume is a lucrative vocation! Nonetheless, the myth of the pot of gold persists and there are still people who go looking for this hidden treasure!

The Leprechaun can only be found in Ireland, in rural areas away from the general population. Burrowed deep in underground caves with entrances hidden as rabbit holes or found in a hallow trunk of a Fairy tree they find safety away from humans who seek to capture them to be granted 3 wishes.

The Leprechaun is well known for their love of Irish music and traditional dance. They’ll often hold Celi’s that can last for days. They are expert musicians when it comes to playing the tin whistle, the fiddle, Bodhrán, and even the Irish harp.

Pot of Gold

This is the most common of all Leprechaun myths which says that they find gold coins buried in the earth and store them all in a pot which is hidden at the end of a rainbow. The fact that a rainbow doesn’t have a fixed spot or a real end should be discounted for the sake of the story!

Quite why Leprechauns even need gold is another matter entirely since they can’t actually spend it. Some researchers suggest that this gold is used as a means of tricking humans and given the Leprechauns’ propensity for trickery, this is entirely possible.

In most Irish folklore tales featuring the Leprechaun, he is depicted as a rogue who will deceive whenever he can. In rare cases where humans catch Leprechauns in tales, they are easily outsmarted by the magical creature that often uses a person’s greed against him. Unless you are an expert in all things Leprechaun, there are a few facts about the mystical trickster that may surprise you.