Medb

Celtic gods & goddesses

Medb

Medb was one of the daughters of the king of Tara, who killed her pregnant sister. Medb then married Aillil and took over the territory of Connacht which would have belonged to her sister. She was most famous for her role as the queen of Connacht during the Battle or the Brown Bull of Cooley, but she also has many mystical qualities, which mark her out as one of the many Celtic goddesses. She was the goddess of sovereignty and territory, as can be seen from her independent and territorial character. She refused to let any king rule at Tara who had not first mated with her, and she was generally depicted as extremely promiscuous. Her name has strong links to twhe word ‘mead’ and her constant seducing of different men is related to the intoxicating effects of this drink.

Marriage

How Medb came to power in Connacht and married Ailill is told in the tale Cath Bóinde ("The Battle of the Boyne"), also known as Ferchuitred Medba ("Medb's man-share"). Her father, Eochaid Feidlech, the High King of Ireland, married her to Conchobar mac Nessa, king of Ulster, because he had killed Conchobar's purported father, the former High King Fachtna Fáthach, in battle. She bore him a son, Glaisne, but the marriage was a bad one and she left him. Eochaid gave Conchobar another of his daughters, Eithne (or Clothru),[3] but Medb murdered her while she was pregnant; her son Furbaide was born by posthumous caesarian section.

Eochaid deposed the then-king of Connacht, Tinni mac Conri, and installed Medb in his place. However, Tinni regained a share of the throne when he and Medb later became lovers. Conchobar raped Medb after an assembly at Tara, and war ensued between the High King and Ulster. Tinni challenged Conchobar to single combat, and lost. Eochaid Dála of the Fir Domnann, who had been Tinni's rival for the kingship, protected the Connacht army as it retreated, and became Medb's next husband and king of Connacht. Medb demanded her husband satisfy her three criteria—that he be without fear, meanness, or jealousy. The last was particularly important, as she had many lovers. While married to Eochaid Dála, she took Ailill mac Máta, chief of her bodyguard, as her lover. Eochaid discovered the affair, challenged Ailill to single combat, and lost. Ailill then married Medb and became king of Connacht.

Cattle Raid of Cooley

As in all her relationships, Medb had to be the dominant partner in her marriage with Aillil. She felt her superiority was being challenged one evening during a recital the two made of their respective property. Aillil, attempting to prove his superiority and maintain his position, claimed he had more wealth than Medb. On all counts they were equal until Aillil mentioned his ownership of the magical and incredibly fertile bull, Finnbhennach. Fennbhennach had actually been born into Medb’s herd but due to the changing values of the time, disdained being owned by a woman and thus transferred himself to Ailill’s.

Medb, not one to accept defeat or an inferior position, determined to get the equally fertile bull, Donn Cuailnge from Cooley in the county of Ulster. After a deal broke down to get the bull by negotiation, Medb raised an army of both Her men and exiles from Ulster led by Her lover, Fergus mac Roich. They set out to capture the bull, Donn Cuailnge.

Medb led Her men into battle. At first She prevailed, for upon sight of Her the men of Ulster fell down in convulsions of desire, unable to resist or fight. In addition, the Ulster men suffered from the curse of the Goddess Macha/Epona, who was also able to run faster than any horse. Because of this curse, in the hour of their greatest need they fell down as if pregnant with terrible labor pains, incapacitated for battle. Only the mythic Irish hero, Cu Chulainn, a mere youth at this time, was able to prevail against Medb, first with an unsuccessful guerrilla campaign, then by invoking the right of single combat at fords. Cu Chulainn received both help and obstacles from supernatural beings like the Morrigan and Lugh.

After many months the story culminated in the final battle. In the beginning of this battle, Cu Chulainn who was recovering from his wounds, stayed out and Medb, with the help of Fergus mac Roich triumphed. But various conflicting promises and allegiances confused the issue and ultimately Medb and Her forces were forced to retreat. But She was not defeated. She achieved Her original goal, bringing the bull Donn Cuailnge back to Connacht. And yet this tale, which began with a comparison of wealth between the royal couple, ends with an ironic twist that canceled out the loss and the gain. Donn Cuailnge fought and killed Aillil’s bull Finnbhennach, but he was also mortally wounded and later died. After many months of battle and many deaths, Queen Medb and King Aillil were finally equal in wealth, but not in power. The power remained with Queen Medb, Sovereignty Goddess of War and Fertility.