「Phase 48」Bud Of A Rose

"She's the rose of Rosebud Academy. She's super interested in your unit, too! Come on out, Rose-chan!"

This best friend came out from behind the duo, her uniform in pristine condition. On her face was a... strange smile.

Tsubaki clenched her fist, the smile which had previously inhabited her face disappearing. Mai paled.

"It's been quite the while," Yui's best friend said, "Miss Amamiya."

The rose of Rosebud Academy...

After all this time...

Mai reached for her sleeve.

"S-Sachiko-chan?!"

The rose smiled, her posture remaining composed. Despite staying silent herself, her expression said more than words ever could.

Mai's chest tightened. It had been over a year since they had last faced each other; a year of Mai wishing they could see each other... yet suddenly, she didn't feel ready at all.

"What are you doing here?" Tsubaki asked, her expression fierce. Her voice was low but clear and her fist remained clenched.

"Isn't it obvious?" Sachiko asked, "As the founder of Rosebud's idol track, I've come to observe the competition. Surely there's no harm in that."

"The founder of the idol track..." Tsubaki muttered, "This is all your doing."

"The boundaries of stardom aren't being pushed recently," Sachiko said, "So I thought budding idols deserved a more sophisticated school to study at."

"So you decided to choose a school in the same city as Celestial?"

"That wouldn't be a problem if Celestial was competent," Sachiko smirked, "But that's not what I'm here for."

She turned back to Mai, who was watching in tense silence.

"I must admit, your stage was stronger than one would expect," Sachiko said, a more genuine smile appearing on her face. Mai's eyes widened.

"But, I wonder if it's enough."

"If it's... enough?"

"Stay away from her," Tsubaki growled.

"And you stay out of this!" Sachiko snapped, before turning back to Mai. "As I said, idols aren't reaching their full potential. Right now, you're a seed. Your performances are enjoyable but you still have a long way to go," she extended her arm, "Come to Rosebud and I can help you. I can make you bloom."

Mai froze. A chance to attend school with her childhood once again. A chance for those two to smile and laugh and pretend nothing was wrong.

But...

"I'm sorry."

Sachiko's calm expression faltered for a second.

"I can't... I can't leave everyone else. Tsubaki, Hina-chan and Kotone-chan are precious to me and I wouldn't want to Aikatsu without them. Celestial Academy is like my second home now. I'm sorry but..."

"I trained Yui from the ground up, in less than a year. Emi and Akira too," Sachiko narrowed her eyes, "Are you sure you want to pass up a chance like this?"

A second.

"I'm certain."

Sachiko stayed silent for a moment, then handed Mai four tickets. "I'm having my own stage tomorrow evening. One that'll surpass everything you think you know about Aikatsu. If you still want to attend Celestial after watching, I'll leave you alone." She gave a refined and obviously rehearsed smile, turning back around. "Yui, Emi. We're leaving."