Chapter 7

Ginny shut the door and entered the dining room. As she did, she noticed a smell of food, which she hadn’t before. She took a deep whiff of the aroma and sighed.

“There you are Ginny, please sit down, we’ve been waiting for you,” Mother said, as Ginny took her place between Stephen and Nelly.

The meal was simple, but Ginny’s stomach growled with hunger. The meat looked delicious and Ginny couldn’t wait to dive in.

“Celia seems like a very nice young lady,” Mother commented as Ginny began to eat. But what about Ben? Ginny wondered. Mother didn’t say anything about Ben.

“She does, I think she’ll be a great companion,” Ginny said carefully. She didn’t want to say anything that would turn Mother away from Celia.

“I think Blithe has a bit of a crush on her brother,” Nelly said, staring at her meal, refusing to let anyone see her expression when she said that.

Blithe dropped her fork on her plate with a clatter, and rose o her feet. “Excuse me!?” she cried.

“Blithe Almyria! Sit down this instance! Outbursts are not at all ladylike!” Mother cried. Blithe sat down, hesitantly.

“You did seem to have quite a fancy for M. Josiah Roser, Blithe,” Lottie said, causing to turn a lovely shade of red.

“That’s a good look for you, Blithe, you should keep it up,” Edward said, causing Blithe to glare at him.

“Mother, if you don’t mind, may I be excused?”

Mother nodded and Blithe hastily left the table.

“Ginny if you are looking for more companions you should meet Alexander’s sister, Bella. She’s about your age.”

“That’s a wonderful idea. I’ll talk to Joan and arrange for that to happen to tomorrow,” Mother said, causing Ginny to groan.

“Now Ginny don’t do that, you haven’t even met Bella yet,” Mother insisted.

“Fine, when do I have to have an “outing” with Miss Bella,” Ginny said, quietly picking at her food.

“Tomorrow, as I said before. I shall send someone over tonight to speak to Joan.”

“Send Violet,” Father said quietly.

“Violet?” Ginny asked. “Who’s Violet?”

“You haven’t met Violet yet? Oh she’s wonderful!” Bess commented cheerfully.

“Elizabeth, you shouldn’t be talking to slaves,” Lottie replied.

Ginny dropped her fork. “Slaves?”

“Why yes,” Mother said confused, “just because we sold our slaves back in England does not mean we won’t have anymore.”

Ginny’s heart fell. She strictly believed against slavery. Even since she saw a slave whipped in a town square for taking an apple to keep from starving, Ginny couldn’t stand the thought. Sadly, she was one of the only people who thought that.

“May I be excused,” Ginny asked. Without waiting for an answer, she stood and left.

Ginny stormed into her room and collapsed on her bed. It seemed that the only joy in her life could be taken at any moment. Somehow she had to keep her mother from knowing where Ben’s and Celia’s loyalties lay.

There was a knock at the door, and Ginny wished she could become part of her bed. “One moment, I’m changing!”

For a second, Ginny thought about just remaining in bed and waiting for the person at the door to walk away. Then Ginny realized anyone who knocked on her door would be willing to wait.