Chapter 9.5

{9.5}

The Aftermath...

   Beep... Beep... Beep...

   What is this?

   I try to open my eyes, but they feel like they have been glued together. I try to bring my hand to rub them but searing pain shoots through my arm. That opens them up.

  I find myself in a big room, big enough to be called a ballroom. If only the walls were a better colour than that dirty beign and not lined up by a dozen beds. Now that I think about it, our infirmary, looks a lot like hogwarts' infirmary from the movies.

   The beeping sound I heard earlier? It was from that heart-rate-monitering-thingy attached to my left hand. And that pain I mentioned? It was because of the stupid IV needle half sticking out of my right hand.

Oh god, I think I can see my blood.

   Not that it matters to me. No. The needle matters to me. Especially the half in and half out part.

   Before I could have a panic attack, a nurse entered the room through the big wooden doors. The Academy and its obsession with the old victorian era.

"You are awake!", she said, sounding surprised, her almost white hair falling in her eyes because for the head jerking she did when she saw me.

"Yes.", I croked out, my throat feeling like it was remade out of sand paper.

"Wait a mintute dear.", and just like the old kind hearted nurses which are shown in movies, she came to my aid.

"Thank you.", I said, once she took the glass away from my lips.

"You are welcome dear. Now lay still, I have to take out the IV needle and un-hook you from that thing there.", she said, pointing to the heart rate moniter.

   I did as she told me to. Once I was free from my restraints I asked her the question that has been the centre of my thoughts for a while now, "How long was I out for?"

"Almost a week child.", she said, softly holding my hands.

"A w-week?", I could not have been out for that long!

"Yes.", she said nodding. "I'll bring you some food. Your system has been running on the IV for too long.", after giving me a soft smile she left.

   Before I could understand what exactly was going on, the infirmary door flew open, and in came Ash. Running towards me.

"YOU ARE AWAKE!", she screamed, skidding into a stop in front of my bed and practicall jumping in it to hug the life out of me. I hugged her back. Tight.

   After a while when I got out of my thoughts, I noticed that she had not let go of me all that time. I also noticed her shaking in my arms.

"Ashley, babe, I am here. Don't worry. I am alive. And well. Here.", I said softly to the sobbing shell of the sweet, bubbly, hyper-active girl I knew.

"YOU WERE OUT FOR A WEEK!!", she practically screamed at me between her sobbs. Her frame shaking as if caught in an earthquake. Her blonde hair all over the place.

   Pushing her hair back from her face, I said to her, "I am here now. Don't worry."

"But not for long.", I heard a new voice say.

   I was so engrossed in trying to soothe Ash, that I didn't even notice there was someone else inside the infirmary.

   I looked up from Ash to see Blake staring at me. His dark eyes, almost as if painted, unreal, blank. His look dark.