Chapter 1

Matteo's POV

I was woken up by a loud crash coming from downstairs. I groaned loudly while pulling the covers over my head not wanting to be awake.

"MATTEO GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!" I was woken up again by my dad shouting at the top of his lungs.

"I'm coming." I groaned and got out of bed. As I was walking down the stairs, I noticed my little brother Blake in the corner covering his head with his hands trembling. I rushed over to his and asked if he was ok. He nodded and mumbled a "Yes."

"Go to my room and lock the door ok?" I asked putting my hand over his still shaking shoulder leading him up the stairs. He ran quickly and slammed the door shut.

I slowly walked into the kitchen only to see my dad standing over a pile of broken glass on the floor covered in blood. I looked up and saw that my father had not been cut and the blood had been Blake's.

"Clean all this up right now." He said sternly pointing at the big mess. I didn't say a word. Instead, I took a mop and began to mop up the bloody mess.

This had been going on for a while, my father hitting both me and Blake til there was blood or bruises all over our tiny little bodies.

My mom had dies about two years ago, died in a car crash. She was the only thing keeping me together, her and my brother. She was the first person that I came out too. Yes, I am gay. My father hates me and says I am a disappointment to the family name and that I should have died in that car instead of my mom. She was driving me to a soccer practice one day. It was raining and a car wasn't paying attention to the car in front of him and didn't stop on time. That car was us. We were pushed into oncoming cars and a big semi crashed into our car. My mother had died instantly, and I was barley alive. I was screaming for my mother to wake up, but she never did. I sat in the car crying loudly as I no longer had a mother. People who had witnessed the crash had called an ambulance. They came and took me away, covering my mother in a black tarp.

I remembered that day as I was cleaning my brothers blood off of the tiled floor.

After I was done cleaning up the mess I walked upstairs and knocked on my door.

"Who is it?' He asked cautiously.

"It's me Blake." I said and he opened the door and quickly came him. He locked the door after me making sure our father could not get in.

"Are you ok?" I asked examining his bruised face making him wince in pain.

"It hurts so much Matteo." He cried and buried his face into the crook of my neck.

"I know. I'm so sorry Blakie." I was really concerned with him.

Ever since mom died he'd been depressed all the time. I'd try to take him out to basketball, football games, and concerts to get his mind off of things at home. That helped, but only for a little bit.

After about an hour or so later, I heard Blake lightly snoring. He had cried himself to sleep in my arms once again.

This happens a few times a week because of my dad.

In a few months when I turn 18, I'm going to be the legal guardian of Blake so he won't have to go through all the pain anymore.

I lightly set him down on my bed and pulled the covers over his body. I kissed his forehead and mumbled a soft 'goodnight' and let my room to go sleep in his.