Chapter 23: Wormtail, Padfoot & Prongs

— 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

— 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

        "Amato Animo Animato Animagus!" The three boys chant the final incantation together, the tip of their wands pointed directly over their chests as it glowed.

        You and the Marauders stood in the middle of a small clearing in the Forbidden Forest. The lightning storm seeped through the thick overgrown trees with its erratic flashes, casting as the only light source in the dark. You waited for what seemed like ten long wasted minutes in the forest. And once they'd appeared, you noticed the struggle and bickering under James' rather small invisibility cloak trying to cover up four grown teenagers. All the while almost getting caught by Peeves, the poltergeist, on the way there.

        With the potions all ready in each of their hands and no time to waste, you quickly instructed them to cast the spell.

        You and Remus stood watch in front of them. While you nervously waited for the result and effects of the Animagus process, Remus, on the other hand, would rather still be curled up in bed after another tiring night from his prefect duties.

        Remus leaned to the side, suppressing an incoming yawn and whispered just above your ear, "You know I don't have to be here for this. It's not even the full moon yet." He casted a glance at the sky covered in branches, vaguely making out the half moon shape that illuminated the dark along the storm.

        "Shh. You're already here." You shush him, patting his arm and deciding you'd make it up to him with a Sleeping Draught the next day. As the rest of the Marauders finish their incantation, you turn your attention back at them and look at each of the vials in their hands, "Now, drink the potion quickly."

        As the three of them hastily bring the vial to their lips, James coughs at its bitter and repulsive taste, "Godric, that's definitely not pumpkin juice."

        "Better than drinking Polyjuice potion that's for sure." Sirius says, his face scrunched up with his tongue out after finishing the potion in one swallow.

        Before you could argue with them for their whining, the white glow from their chest begins to spread, enveloping their bodies and finally transforming them into their respective animal forms. This was it; the countless hours of studying and brewing coming to fruition right before your eyes.

        You held your breath, clutching onto Remus' sweater as their transformations took shape.

        James felt the warmth in his chest expand throughout his whole body, almost like he was burning from the inside out. One moment he was looking at his mates, and the next thing he knew, he was on all fours.

        Scanning his surroundings that didn't seem different from a second ago, he realised his height had decreased. He lolled his head from side to side, taking in the forest at a different standpoint as his senses adjusted. It was strange and wondered if he was coming on with a migraine, feeling the weight of his head become heavier than usual.