Chapter Thirteen

Emma laid inside the makeshift tent with her hands still covered with little paint, but dry enough that it doesn't spread the part on her dress where her hands were. Her painting of a swan over viewing the lake, wings spread wide with sparks of yellow dancing around it like a magic surrounding it; is spread out just beside her face slowly drying. She didn't remove the messy bun held by a paint brush her hair is in as she continued to stare at the sheets with illuminated leaves above her.

She had been there for a few hours already, its lunch soon and she knows she needs to go back to the palace. With a sigh, she stood up and went to the lake to wash her hands finally admitting to herself that she is a little disappointed, though only a little. She washed her hands thoroughly enjoying the need of scratching her hands to get rid of the paint as it always entertains her. Satisfied, Emma stood up drying her hands on her dress. She started walking back to the tent without looking up. When she saw a pair of boots exactly a step away from her feet, she abruptly looked up.

That's how it goes. Regina with her arms crossed in her chest leaning a little bit forward and a shocked Emma a few inches away from Regina's face. It took Emma a full ten seconds to realize their closeness and she leaned back ever so slowly. Regina, in her own trance shook her head and looked down. The Princess cleared her throat as she addressed the woman with a simple, "Regina."

Finally having the courage to look up, Regina addressed her too, "Princess Emma." The Princess met her gaze and made a face, the reason Regina doesn't know. "With your absence for nine days, Princess, I assumed you're never coming back," she commented stressing the title as she stepped aside to let the Princess walk back to the tent.

Trust it for Regina to leave her remark, Emma smirked playfully. "Counting the days I was gone, Regina? Did you miss my presence, Your Majesty?" she asked as she felt Regina follow her to the tent.

Regina blushed and was startled that she had been caught. "Oh, I did," she sarcastically answered to hide it, but it didn't fail to make the Princess smile. "Tell me, Princess, what have got you so busy you let go of your beloved swans?" Regina ignored it and stopped right in front of the tent, unsure whether she's welcome inside or not.

"You may come in," the Princess said sensing Regina's doubt. Regina first sat stiffly shifting the bag in her back Emma only noticed now. Emma continued to stare as Regina got the bag from her shoulders, opened it to reveal breads and fruits. She took the orange the brunette offered her.

"Don't you think it's rude not to answer a question?" Regina asked after the third clove of an orange was in Emma's mouth. Somewhat, the uncomfortable feeling she's used to whenever the Princess is around was slowly dissipating.

"Can you repeat the question?"

Regina rolled her eyes. "Don't mind it. It's not like a care." She added a shrug trying to show she doesn't care, because she really doesn't. She doesn't care at all. She's not curious.

"Oh, I remember the question now, thank you for reminding me," the Princess matched the woman's sass. "I was just looking through book searching for the story of this lake." Emma observed as Regina nodded. She can tell the woman is waiting for the story, but she won't give it to her easily.

Regina had to bite her tongue to refrain herself from asking what was it about. But she can tell Emma knows she's curious, if that's the hard look is to go by. After what felt like a minute, Regina looked at the young royalty expectantly. Emma looked at her innocently but the gleam in her eyes told Regina that she definitely knows Regina is waiting. Not wanting to back down, Regina rolled her eyes and resumed eating her apple.