Chapter Thirty Two

"Did you know that the owner of the necklace I entrusted you with..." the queen started as she put down her utensil and watched as Emma's head snapped at her, "...will have her birthday in a week?" Snow White asked as smoothly as she can. She slapped her husband's thigh as he hid his chuckle on a bite from his spoon.

Snow White told David what she thinks about the white and rainbow light that erupted somewhere in the forest over a month ago. They weren't totally knocked off of their feet but she felt it, albeit weak she knows it happened having experienced it for many time already. She knows that Regina needs to reverse something that she took; True Love's kiss is the answer to anything, it break curses, potions, undo spells. Emma came home that day, Alice's birthday to be exact- meaning she met with Regina, with a different glow on her face, wider smile and with spring on her heels. Putting those two aren't really hard.

That fact was confirmed when Lily told her she saw the princess kissing someone on the late Sir Henry's grave. A lady in red hood, as what Lily had said. From what Lily had seen, the woman acted like a royal; she's sitting properly, perfect posture, her talking voice is appropriate and most importantly she handles the princess with gentleness. Lily said the woman, if her petite body and graceful move is to go by, makes Emma happy. Whoever that person is doesn't matter.

They have been on edge of bombarding Emma with questions ever since. They can't contain themselves from the joy of the knowledge of someone loving Emma and their daughter loving someone back. They wonder when they are going to hear all of it, the first kiss and how the woman makes Emma feel. They knew who it was but they won't push Emma to tell who it is.

Emma tried to act nonchalant, when in truth she's thrilled inside. She cleared her throat before asking, "And my mother is telling me this because?"

That broke the King's chuckle. David had to hide his chuckle with a cough. He received a glare from his wife she he thought maybe he'll just put Snow out of the misery she put herself in. "Well, nothing. Your mother just remembered."

Snow White nodded, "Your father is right."

"Oh," was Emma's reply, "Of course."

The little family returned back to eating their lunch. Emma's mind was elsewhere, already planning how to surprise the love of her life. She briefly wondered why Regina didn't say that her birthday is coming, then remembered that Regina used to not age so it is possible that Regina doesn't celebrate. Emma thought of extravagancies, because if Regina did really not celebrate her birthday, Emma is more than willing to make up for it. She wondered what Regina would want. Emma can't cook. If she told the chefs to cook something they'll probably ask questions, questions Emma will find hard to answer so Emma crossed out the idea of a meal. Emma thought perhaps a picnic in the forest. But they always do that so that wouldn't be special, another crossed out idea. A ball, Emma thought. Emma didn't know how Regina feels about a ball but she remembered Regina's eyes on her birthday. Her eyes were filled with amazement and Emma wants to see that again. Emma can see Regina in a ball gown too. There won't be any crowd so Regina will be comfortable. It really is a great idea. Emma nodded to herself, completely forgetting that she's still eating and that her parents are on the table. Her mind's next concern was the gift. Whatever can she give to Regina that the brunette will cherish forever? Aside from Emma's heart and love of course. Emma shook her head feeling ridiculous with her sappiness.

Snow White watched her daughter in interest. Emma kept on working her jaws though she's not chewing anymore. The princess' gaze is also distant and unfocused. Clearly, Emma's mind is not with them. She touched her husband's arm as the man is also staring at their daughter, amused. "David," she said loud enough that Emma will surely hear if only she's paying attention. "David, I think she's in love."

David grinned at Emma's oblivious state. He caught his wife's gaze and he winked at her. He looked back at his ever growing princess and said, "I think so, too. I mean, it's pretty obvious."

Snow White chuckled at Emma's small smile as she brought her spoon on her lips. With a playful thought, she looked at her husband and gave him an equally playful smile. "I'm glad you agree," she said loudly and looked expectantly at Emma. "Don't you think your father is right, Emma?"

David got what Snow is playing at. He looked expectantly at Emma, too. He flashed his most convincing smile and tapped his daughter's arm, "Right, Emma?"

Emma looked like a deer caught in headlights. Her blush is so red and her eyes are so big her parents almost laughed. Thankfully, the couple is very intent to hear Emma's agreement to her being in love though she didn't hear the question.

"Right," Emma answered having caught not listening. It must have been the right and appropriate response as her parents beam. "Of course, you're right," she confidently added as if she's listening.

Snow White chuckled at her daughter's naivety in the situation. If Emma's blush is to go by, the Queen guesses Emma must have been thinking about a particular brunette. She's just happy she got to see Emma like this. Emma may not know it, but it meant the world to Snow White. She felt a squeeze on her hand. She looked at her husband and smiled at him.

Snow's glossy eyes made David's heart soar. He knows that look, Snow is happy; and so is he. Their love was the kind to always find each other. So if Emma wants a love that will never be ripped away from her, David knows right then that he will do anything to make sure Regina won't be ripped away from Emma.

---

Emma paced in her room. In three days time, she and Regina will meet again. She just came back from a lovely visit to her lover's house. Lover. Emma is still getting used to it though they had been together for a month and she would love to use it for as long as and as much as she can. Just the thought of her being loved by someone as fierce and caring as Regina, makes Emma's heart happy. So Emma needs to do this. The blonde knows Regina is not materialistic, the brunette made that point when she told Emma that she's not after her riches. Still, Emma wants to do something.

Emma asked her parents for money. In surprise, they didn't asked questions. They dismissed her quickly with an excuse of needing to do something when in truth the kingdom is rather running smoothly. Emma didn't question though. She already got new kitchen supplies because she knows Regina likes to cook. A beautiful purple cloak that reminded Emma of Regina's magic because of its color and a matching purple gloves. Emma wanted to buy more but she ran out of money. She thought of making one from her magic but realised that money wasn't the problem. Emma ran out of ideas of possible gifts. So she decided to make something more personal. A painting perhaps, hoping that it will convey Emma's message. She grabbed her things, picked the most beautiful canvas she owns and collected the colors she will use. Excellent.

The only problem though... was what is she going to paint? What is something worthy enough to convey her love for Regina? She never tried a portrait before. She attempted to sketch Regina's face before, the first time her magic made itself known. But because she panicked, Emma didn't get the chance to start. But she can't just do that it will be dangerous for Regina when some people find out. Then she remembered a promise she made months ago. Right, now Emma has a direction and plan in mind. The blonde can't help but smirk as she put the canvas on the easel.