To Find Family Pt.2

Ava had caught them all by surprise. An unexpected factor that had blindsided the group of warriors at the worst time.

Still grieving Shannon, the new Halo-Bearer seemed to only be another blow to their crumbling foundation.

Unpredictable, inexperienced, impertinent. When they had needed someone to take charge, to lead, to unite their broken pieces.

Yet, one by one, each Sister found themselves inexplicably charmed by the stranger.

*

Camila found it relatively easy to discern the good intentions of others. Her mother had taught her to seek out the motivations of people, often concealed by anger or pain or jealousy.

Because of this, it hadn't taken long for her to warm up to Ava. She certainly had her... quirks, but Camila saw absolutely nothing malicious from the girl. That was enough for her to feel confident befriending Ava.

At first, Camila had just wanted to help her adjust to the Church, give her a warmer welcome than she was sure Lilith and Mother Superion had. She loved them both dearly, but amiable, they were not. Camila quickly realized, however, that her self-assigned mission required a much broader scope.

So she took it upon herself to facilitate Ava's introduction to the more frivolous and lighthearted sides of life, figuring the others could handle the darker -- yet decidedly necessary -- aspects.

Ava had a surprisingly abundant wealth of arbitrary knowledge (from television, Camila later learned), but was slightly deficient in more standard education and had a severe deficit in personal experience.

To rectify this, they'd spend a little time each day together playing piano or practicing penmanship or pulling pranks or a million other things.

Whatever Ava might have lacked in skill, she made up for in spades with her enthusiasm. She threw herself into every activity with the intent of enjoying it.

Surrounded only by other nuns -- many of whom were rather sombre and sometimes, well, boring , Camila was thrilled to have Ava. Who brought, one way or another, excitement into their lives.

She challenged them, but not how they had ever anticipated. Ava poked and prodded at people and ideas simply because she could. Seemingly without any fear of punishment, of retribution. Camila loved it. She'd sit back, smirking, and watch the inevitable show with great interest.

Camila was still relatively new to the OCS, but she had been taken in almost immediately by Shannon and the others. They looked out for her and helped her and protected her. Now, it was time for her to return the favor. Both to them and Ava. Mary, Lilith, and Beatrice were being torn apart, but Ava was good for them -- she could see it.

They needed someone to remind them of life beyond the Church, someone to rally around. Ava needed direction, stability. And if they were all going to continue to be stubborn , well, Camila would just have to help it along. Impatience was a trait she and Ava shared.

*

Lilith had a difficult time connecting to people. All her life, she had been hyper-focused on becoming the Halo-Bearer -- not through her fault alone. It had been the only purpose her family had ever known, and, therefore, the only purpose they had seen of or for her. Thus, came the first problem with Ava.

Somewhere down the line, purpose morphed into obligation and twisted into near obsession. To have that... imbecile take her legacy -- her birthright -- brought a dark, covetous, malicious side of Lilith roaring to the surface.