Chapter 3

Percy sat down at the Gryffindor table next to Hermione, who had her copy of Voyages with Vampires propped open against a milk jug.

"Morning."

"Morning," she replied still on her book.

Harry and Ron then came. There was a slight stiffness in the way she said "Morning," to them. Which meant she was still disapproving of the way they had arrived. Neville Longbottom, on the other hand, greeted them cheerfully.

"Mail's due any minute — I think Gran's sending a few things I forgot."

Percy was about to take his last spoonful when there was a rushing sound overhead and a hundred or so owls streamed in, circling the hall and dropping letters and packages into the chattering crowd. A big, lumpy package bounced off Neville's head and a letter and daily prophet fell onto his legs. Bomething large and grey fell into Hermione's jug, spraying them all with milk and feathers.

"Errol!" said Ron, pulling the bedraggled owl out by the feet.

"Oh, no —" Ron gasped.

"It's all right, he's still alive," said Hermione, prodding Errol gently with the tip of her finger.

"It's not that — it's that."Ron was pointing at the red envelope. It looked quite ordinary to Harry, but Ron and Neville were both looking at it as though they expected it to explode.

"What's the matter?" said Harry.

"She's — she's sent me a Howler," said Ron faintly

"You'd better open it, Ron," said Neville in a timid whisper. "It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and" — he gulped — "it was horrible."

"What's a Howler?" he said.

"You'll see" Percy whispered.

But Ron's whole attention was fixed on the letter, which had begun to smoke at the corners."

Open it," Neville urged. "It'll all be over in a few minutes

Ron stretched out a shaking hand, eased the envelope from Errol's beak, and slit it open. Neville stuffed his fingers in his ears. A split second later, it had exploded; a roar of sound filled the huge hall, shaking the dust from the ceiling."—

RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME! — Oh, and Ginny dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud.

The Howler then blows a raspberry and shreds itself to pieces.

A ringing silence fell. Harry and Ron sat stunned,as though a tidal wave had just passed over them. A few people laughedand, gradually, a babble of talk broke out again.

Hermione closed Voyages with Vampires and looked down at the top ofRon's head.

"Well, I don't know what you expected, Ron, but you —"

"Don't tell me I deserved it," snapped Ron.

Professor McGonagall was movingalong the Gryffindor table, handing out course schedules.

"Is it true you want to try out for the Gryffindor quidditch team Jackson?"

Percy nodded.

"Well, tryouts are being held on Friday, right after class ends. Katie Bell's arm had been deboned by a certain DADA professor," she said scowling at Lockhart. "If you are interested in chaser, I suggest you go to tryouts." And with that, she left.