2

Weeks passed by and it's now October. The Halloween dance is coming up and I was hoping that Eli would maybe ask to go with me. As a date. But, while we sat there in my living room eating snacks and planning our costumes for the dance, it was obvious that wasn't going to happen.

"So I'm thinking necromancer...I could do the face paint and get an amulet and everything," Demetri suggests excitedly.

I roll my eyes and reach over to grab a pretzel from the bowl on the coffee table from my lying down position. "You mean I'll do the face paint," I laugh, "you'd mess it up and end up looking like a regular, ole possessed priest."

"Ha! Good one," Eli snickers as he holds his fist out for me to bump.

Returning it, I fight to hide the grin that wants to spread. "What about you? Any ideas?" His eyebrows raise and he looks away from me.

"I was thinking of being a plastic surgeon..." he murmurs. "Ya know with the surgical mask and cap and stuff."

Immediately, my eyebrows furrow together and I exchange a glance with Meech in his place on the carpet. He shrugs like it's out of his hands. I widen my eyes and he silently shakes his head in return but I don't listen. "I don't like that idea. What else ya got?"

"W-what do you mean?" Eli whips his head to look at me from the other side of the loveseat we're sitting on. I sit up, removing my feet from Eli's lap. He frowns, fingers reaching for my ankles to move them back to his legs. "Wh-hey!"

I try not to give in because this is important. "Not until you come up with another costume," I demand and set my reading glasses on the table.

"It's my costume! I can go as what I want!" He raises his voice above its usual level of gentle to show that he's serious.

Crossing my arms, I stand up from the couch. "Not if what you want is to hide who you are!" I argue exasperatedly.

"Here we go," Meech murmurs loudly enough for us to hear.

"Stay out of this!" We both yell at the same time. He puts his hands up in surrender and starts chewing on a pretzel to distract himself.

Eli stands up as well, easily dominating my height with his own. His sudden movements cause my sleeping dogs to stand up and trod over to see the commotion. "It's the one night of the year where no one has to see this stupid scar and make fun of me for it!" My rottie, Cerberus, crouches next to my legs, a low grumble starting to build in his throat.

"Ferse." I give him the German command to heel and turn back to Eli as he sits on his hind legs, panting happily, just like that. "Li, it's also the one night of the year you don't have to hide it. It's Halloween! Everyone is gonna have fake scars and blood and all that stuff..."

He scoffs. "Except mine's not fake and everyone knows it!" Before I can stop him, he starts gathering his belongings into his bag.

"That's not what I-Where are you going?" I sigh.

When he looks at me, I reflexively take a step back because he looks so angry. "I'm going home. So I can plan the costume that I want! C'mon, Demetri." He starts toward the front door and then pauses.

"Can't we just talk about this more calmly and then move on? We're all friends here..." he laughs nervously. Eli frowns. "We were supposed to stay for dinner..."

Groaning in frustration, Eli flings open the door and brushes past my mom who's just getting home from the grocery store. "Sorry, Ms. Voss. I can't stay for dinner," he says quickly on his way out.

"But, it's spaghetti night!" Demetri calls after him as he stands up.

My mom stands frozen with her back against the doorway, looking between the three of us to try and gauge what happened. With a quirk of her eyebrow at me, I sigh and point at my lip before flopping on the cushions of the loveseat. Cerbie lays next to me and licks my palm as it hangs off the side.