11

I don't end up seeing Miguel for the next few days. That is until training the next week. He spends the whole afternoon staying on the opposite side of the dojo from me, sneaking betrayed glances. I roll my eyes and pay attention as Sensei films the worst commercial I've ever seen.

The commercial that Miyagi-Do released was just the first step in our plan to put cracks in Cobra Kai. It was going brilliantly. But, Robby was right. I still need to figure out a way to make them trust me again. "Raven!" I look around and realize that everyone was doing their own free training. "Come to the back room!"

I follow Sensei's voice and find Miguel and Hawk standing in front of him at ease. Sliding in next to Hawk, I mimic their stance. "Yes, Sensei?"

"Wanna tell me why knucklehead one and two think I should kick you out of the dojo?" He folds his arms across his chest and I turn to glare at them.

Miguel's mouth drops open in slight surprise. "Wait! I never-"

Turning back to Sensei, I interrupt, "Because I knew Robby was your son and didn't say anything."

"And why didn't you?"

"Because it's none of our business, Sensei." I squeeze my own hand behind my back, irritation flaring through me. Not being able to help myself, I add on, "And Hawk is jealous that he's not one of the top two students anymore."

Sensei raises his brow with a smirk while Hawk snaps at me. "I'm not jealous, I just don't think you earned it."

"Let's settle this then." Our eyes snap to his in confusion. "Hawk...you'll fight the second highest ranking student for the spot."

I pinch my eyebrows questioningly at Sensei. He subtly shakes his head for me not to say anything. I obey, and he nods for us to follow him back out to the dojo. "Clear the mat!" He yells. "We're having an impromptu competition!"

Standing next to Sensei at the front of the mat, I hear Miguel try to warn Hawk. "You don't want to do this, dude. Nothing good can come of it."

"Why? I'm not afraid to hit a girl who claims to be a black belt," he replies while rolling out his shoulders and glaring at me.

Miguel lowers his voice defeatedly. "You really should be, though..."

"Sensei," I whisper, "are you sure we should do this? Humiliating my friends isn't gonna make them forgive me..."

He nods. "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." Sensei holds his hand up and the room goes deadly silent. "Hawk! You believe the second highest ranking spot of the dojo should be yours. Is that correct?"

"Yes, Sensei!" He bellows.

Nodding grimly, he continues, "Then, step to the center of the mat!" Hawk sheds his gi and struts to the center shirtless. I try to force my eyes not to look but I can't. Everyone waits with baited breath for the next command. "Face off against your challenger...Miguel!"

I stand unflinching, as everyone gasps and breaks into murmurs. "But, Sensei," Hawk starts in confusion while gesturing toward me angrily. "Raven-"

"Is not the second highest ranking student in the dojo," Sensei replies loudly so that everyone quiets down. "She's the highest!"

Miguel looks at me quizzically before he realizes that if we're going by who can beat who in a fight...I've already earned it. "Since when?? Shouldn't she have to fight Miguel first to decide that?!"

"She already did," Miguel sighs, stepping onto the mat and walking to the center. "And she won."

"Bullshit!" Hawk growls defiantly.