Chapter 10: Finding Lily Jo Hansen

Two days later....

I made it back to New York. I was greeted by my maid when I walked into the house. I was so happy to see her. I gave her a big hug and I can smell the aroma of beef stew and buttermilk biscuits. It was lunchtime and I was hungry.

"Hey Miss Emma. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm great. Where's Madison?"

I decided to not to tell her what happened between me and Madison last night and this morning. So I told her I left her in Iowa City.

"I left Madison in Iowa City. She can find her own ride home. It's over between us anyway." I said.

"Okay. You go clean up and I'll have your food on the table when you get back." said Ms. Emma.

"Actually, I'm going to the office. Can you bring my food in there? I'll be in the bathroom." I said.

"Yes. I forgot you have to make an important phone call." said Ms. Emma.

"Yes. I do." I said.

Ten minutes later, Ms. Emma bought my meal and placed it on my table. She left the room and I dug into my food. It reminded me of being back in Gram's kitchen as a kid. Grams would play oldies on the radio while she would do the dishes and I eat at the table with Dad. God, I cherish the those days. After eating my food, I looked down at my empty bowl and I realized something. I realized that I miss home. I didn't think I would when I back to see Grams. I hated that boring small town. After see Grams in the hospital and staying at Grams house with dad, all the memories came flooding back. I began to cry and wonder what did my life mean here in New York? What exactly is my purpose and passion? Did I want to stay here in New York or do I want to live in Iowa city for the rest of my life? All these questions keep swarming around my head and I don't know what to think or do. Right now, I need to find Lily for Grams. I'll figure out those questions later. I called Ian and the phone rang.

"Hello? This is Detective Ian. How can I help you?" asked Ian.

"Hey Ian. It's Danny." I said.

"Danny?! How are you?" said Ian.

"I'm great. Listen, uh, I need a favor, man." I said.

"Okay. What is it?" said Ian.

I told Ian everything that had happened the last few weeks of being in Iowa City.

"I'm sorry about your Grandmother. Of course I'll help you. You said her name is Lily Jo Hansen. I'll look in to right away. I'll get back to you when I find her." said Ian.

"Thanks, man." I said.

"You're welcome." said Ian.

I went back to work. I am a realtor and I sell houses for a living. I've been selling houses all afternoon and I went back home to my office. I was on my feet all day and they hurt so bad. I hopped in the shower and showered then I put on some clean clothes. Then I went into the kitchen to greet Ms. Emma. She looked like she have been crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"It's your grandmother again. Your father called while you were at work. You might wanna sit down for this." said Ms.Emma.

"What's going on, Ms Emma?" I asked again.

"The cancer spread to her liver. She has less than a month to live." said Ms. Emma.

I fell to my knees and broke down crying. Ms. Emma helped me up and took me to my bedroom. Ms. Emma consoled me until I fell asleep. The next morning, I called in to work. I told them that I wasn't feeling well and needed a few days off. I also told them that I will be working from the office. I just couldn't face my clients today. I decided to skip breakfast and workout instead. After working out for about an hour, my clothes were soaking wet. I took a shower and changed into my work clothes. I went into my office and called my maid to see me.

"You rang, Ms. Danny?" said Ms. Emma.

"Yes ma'am. I did. I would like a bagel with strawberry cream cheese on the side please and some sunny delight. Thank you." I said.

"Yes ma'am. Coming right up." said Ms. Emma.

I called my grandmother at the hospital. When the phone picked up, a doctor answered.

"Hello? This is Dr. Jackson calling. How may I help you?" asked the doctor.

"Hi. Can I speak to my grandmother?" I asked.

"Just a moment." said Dr. Jackson.

"Hello?" said Grams.

"Hey Grams. I'm back at work up in New York. How are you today?" I said.

"I'm okay. I guess your father told you, huh?" I said.

"Yeah. Grams, I'm not ready for you to go yet." I said in a cracked voice.

"Baby girl, I lived a long time.  It's my time and when I go, I want you to promise me you'll make me proud and help your dad out on the farm." said Grams.

"I promise, Grams. I promise. I love you." I sniffled.

"I love you too, baby girl." said Grams.

I hung up the phone and went back to work. Three days later, I got a phone call from Ian. I happened to be working from home.

"Hey Danny. I got some great news for you." said Ian.

"You do? Did you find her?" I asked.

"Yes, I did. She is living in Cleveland, Ohio. Not too far from where you are." said Ian.

"Thanks Ian. What's the address?" I asked.

"It is 1245 Saint Mary Street. She seems like a sweet lady and remembers your grandmother very well." said Ian.

"Oh thank you so much. My grandmother is gonna be so surprised to see her again." I said.

"You're welcome. Well, I got to get back to work. I have another case to solve." said Ian.

"Bye and thanks again." I said.

I hung up the phone and began packing a bag and some snacks for the road. I told Ms. Emma that I was leaving for a few days. I explained to her about the conversation I had with Ian on the phone.

"Good luck." said Ms. Emma.

I got into my car and put the address on my GPS. I was off to meet the woman that stole Grams heart.

*That's the end of this chapter. They will be more on the way soon. I hope you guys are enjoying the storyline so far. So remember to vote, like, and leave good comments below. Thank you.*