Chapter 3: Gram's House

Danny's POV

We made it back to Gram's house. The house was still the same as I remember. I looked around the house and saw pictures of myself in my younger years. There were pictures of Gram and her family members. She even had a picture of this beautiful woman I never seen before. I asked Grams who she was and she said she was just an old friend. Dad went into the kitchen to prepare lunch. I sat in Grams favorite chair and stared out of the window. Then a knock at the door snapped me back to reality. I stood up to answer it.

"I got it, dad!" I said.

I opened the door and I saw a familiar face. I did not know who this person was. So I asked the person what they wanted.

"Hi. May I ask who are you?" I said.

"I'm Hakeem Wilson. Hey, I know you. Danny Jones, From Liberty High School. It was you, me, Cam, A.J. and Dawn.  We were known as the misunderstood outcasts." said Hakeem.

"Yeah! I remember you. You were so nerdy then. Now look at you. You're handsome and buffed up. I better the ladies be checking you out, huh?" I said.

"Yeah they still do except I'm married to the most beautiful woman on earth." said Hakeem.

"Who is she?  Maybe I can meet her sometimes." I asked.

"You know her. It's Dawn." said Hakeem.

"Really? That's amazing. You used to have a crush on her back then. So what brings you here?" I said.

"I'm here to help out your grandmother. On the weekends, I'm her farmhand. I usually help her with the heavy load. So is she here?" said Hakeem.

"Well, Gram's is in the hospital. She's not doing too well." I said.

"Oh I'm sorry. I'll call her when she comes home. In the meantime, I got to go. It was nice seeing you again." said Hakeem.

"You too. Bye." I said.

"Danny! Lunch's ready." said Dad.

"What did you make dad?" I asked.

"Sausage po'boys, waffle fries, and some kool-aid." said Dad.

"I haven't eaten that since I was a kid. Can you save mine for later? I'm going upstairs to lie down. I'm tired and I need a nap." I said.

"Okay, baby girl." said Dad.

I went upstairs to my old bedroom. It's right across from Gram's. I remember when I was little, there was a huge thunderstorm one night and I was so scared. I grabbed my teddy that grams gave me when I was a baby and ran across to her room.  She was in bed asleep and I climbed up the bed. Grams let me in and held me tight. She said to me that night, "Baby girl, there's nothing to be scared of. It's just that mean old nasty thunder. How about I tell you a story?" I loved her stories. I miss those days. I went into my room and it was exactly the same. It was time for an upgrade to the 21st century. I laid on my bed and went to sleep. When I woke up, it was 2 in the afternoon. I was really tired. I decided to look around in Gram's room. I walked across the hall and opened the door. It still looked the same too. I can smell her sweet perfume in the air. I sat on her bed and looked at her nightstand. She had some old books, a lamp and a box that labeled Eddie. Eddie is Grams real name. I opened the box and it contained some pictures and a diary that read, Eddie's Private Diary. So I put it away even though I couldn't help but wonder what was in that book. I started to get hungry. I went downstairs and ate the lunch that dad saved for me. It was delicious. Then I went outside for a walk around the farm. I walked towards the barn and all the animals were still there. This is my favorite place here at the farm. I always loved animals and I even thought about being a Vet someday but I don't think it will happen.

I helped dad out in the fields. Then we fed the animals before it got dark. Then we went inside. I took a hot bubble bath then put on some clean clothes. I forgot the crickets come out at night and made that chirping sound. I missed that sound. I sat in Grams favorite rocking chair on the front porch. It smelled like tobacco and bud light beer. I looked up at the night sky and saw the moon. Then I saw the stars. You don't see this back in New York City. Man, it feels good to be back at Gram's house.

*This chapter has come to an end. Ready for more? All you got do is vote, like, and comment below. Then more will be revealed.*