Chapter 1 - Memories, Lives & Lies

Ten Years Later...

"That view is never going to change no matter how much you look at it" The sweet, bossy voice pulled me from the thoughts that has been more like of a nightmare.

The moment was passed and I remembered where exactly I was, tucked away in the safety of my office that had an amazing view of Centra Park. All you could see was the acers of green trees that brought a lot of life back to New York City. My office on the other was a complete band in comparison, dark wooden floor boards, white plastered cabinets and my large desk in the centre of the room with a leather chairs on both sides of the tables. My table has seen better days, my work load has been getting more and more with each passing hour however I will never complain since it is all I have left. Like my office my own persona taste is lacking colour or a personality. Black suit with a white button up shirt all pulled together with a red tie.

"Never hurts to try" I whispered before allowing myself to take a seat again behind my desk, my eyes however are following Abby. Her Pixie blind hair, hazelnut eyes and a face that screamed, 'I am a model'. She was one attractive woman who caught a lot of attention from not only male suitors but my male colleagues as well, especially when she was dressed in her tight green tube skirt with black heels.

"You're not a magician. Now explain to me why you are still working on Friday night and not on a hot date?" Her sweet voice followed her whilst she planted herself on the leather couch against my furthest wall.

"I have a lot of work to do on the Aldo case" I said as I continued on doing my work, the paperwork on my desk was organized but I still struggled sometimes to keep control what went across my desk. A lawyer's work is never easy or finished.

"We both now that this case is in the bag, What's your next excuse?" Abby asked, her voice challenging me along with her eyebrow shooting high into her hair line including a smirk on her lips.

"No excuse, I just don't do the whole dating thing" That was not a lie. I am a twenty-six- year-old man, and I have only been on two dates in my entire life and the closest thing I ever got to sex was a blowjob years ago in college.

"You will turn into an old lady with a million cats"

"Tabby is extremely happy all on her own, thank you" That got me her most famous eye roll. I met Abby the very first day I entered the office and she was a force to be reckon with. She had a way of making herself known. We clicked instantly and she became my first friend over the last ten years.

"Whatever! Am I still coming over tomorrow for lunch?" She asked.

"You know my house is yours, you only have to show up!" A smile was across my lips as I relish on the theory that Abby can come and go in my home. I trust her enough and that is not something I have been overly eager of handing to anyone.

"So, I just bring the wine then!" Chipper and ecstatic was lased in her voice.

"Bye Abs" I giggled to her enthusiasm. With a quick wink in my direction she leaped to her feet and walked out my office, laughter following her with every step.

It was not long before everyone has left the floor leaving me to my work and the thousands of thoughts that take control of my life. I resumed my work after a quick coffee, getting the divorce papers in order along with the custody agreement that we spent the morning negotiating. I have handled a ton of cases in the time I have been here, each one different than the previous one. This one however was by farthest the easiest when both parties are constantly on the same page through the whole proceedings, especially when it came to their daughter. Wrapping up with the last batch of paperwork when a loud ring echoed through the empty floor, bouncing from office to office removing any silence that was once there. A quick glance at the clock notified me that it was a little after ten pm, who in the right mind would bother an Attorney firm this time of the night! Phone to may ear, my fingers glided across the receiver's keypad, my personal keycode entered, securing the phone straight from reception to my own line.