Orientation...Page

All of the girls in the room line up in an excited rush, Page joins in the pushing and shoving to make sure that she is as close to the front as she get. Sonya shouts over the excited chatter of everyone around her to have them calm down.  She whistles loudly, Page cringes. Sonya may not be an air bender, but she sure knew how to use a whistle.

“Alright now calm down, there’s enough uniforms and packs for everyone!”

Page watches in surprise as all of the girls immediately stop pushing and just get in line. She tries not to laugh as she realizes that they are mumbling under their breath that they have to wait, but one-by-one they walk forward. Page smiles triumphantly when she realizes she is the tenth in line and Crystal behind her is eleventh. She watches in shock as Talula asks for a small and receives the first of the blue uniforms and small blue leather backpacks.

How did she get all the way up there?

Page just shakes the thought off and takes another step forward counting down the moments until she gets her own uniform. Eight…seven…six…five…four…three…two…Page practically screams in excitement as she asks for a small. Her heart almost gives out when Sonya reaches in the box and places the blue uniform in Page’s outstretched arms along with a small blue leather back pack and a roll up wooden mat thing.

“Is this some kind of joke!?!”

Page looks over to see Talula’s disgusted face. She’s holding the corner of the map as far away as her arms would let her, “What is this?” she demands.

“Those are your sleeping mats.” Sonya explains calmly, “And that dark blue fleece is your blanket, the pillows aren’t here yet, but should be arriving shortly.”

“You can’t be serious!” Talula shrieks.

“Oh but I am.” Sonya says with smile, “First years start at the bottom and make their way up. That includes; sleeping arrangements, amount of respect, and so on.”

“I refuse to sleep on this…this thing!” she throws the mat on the ground.

“Than that means you refuse to accept the way of the bender and can leave if you would like.” Sonya said calmly.

Talula looked at Sonya in disbelief. The other girls looked between Talula and Sonya seeing who would budge first. Suddenly Talula growled in defeat and stomped to the other side of the room. Sonya smiled with bittersweet satisfaction.

“Well that was interesting.” Page said to Crystal. Crystal received her uniform and nodded.

“Are you nervous about our sleeping arrangements?” Crystal asked her.

Page scoffs, “Are you kidding, I’m used to roughing it, this mat is a piece of cake…what about you?”

Crystal shrugged, “I’ve camped a lot with my family before, so I guess this isn’t much different than a sleeping bag.”

Page nods in agreement. She looks down at her rolled up mat, pack, and uniform in her hands. She will never admit this, but this is the most items that she has ever owned since she was like three. She looks up and around the practically empty room; there wasn’t much already in it when she came into the room besides four cloth nature paintings of sunsets and green foggy mountains. There are some really weird paper wall things that Page isn’t really sure what they’re for, but something is missing….

“Where are we supposed to change?” Page asks Sonya. The other girls have already received their things and begin looking around too.

“I am not changing in a public bathroom!” One of the other girls say.