Chapter 2

'She was beautifully

out of place.

Sometimes, I believe

she intended to be

like the moon during the day.'

- D. R.

. . .

      Daphne made to check her irritation at yet another one of Anthony's blatant dismissals of a potential suitor.

His lack of approval of seemingly any man of the ton had left them watching the events of the night go on without them.

Across the room where Violet Bridgerton was conversing with some of the ton's mama's she could only send her daughter a worried glance.

The only way Daphne was going to speak with any suitors is if she managed to get some time away from the brother that seemed glued at her side.

Daphne looked up at her Anthony who was still scaring off any and all suitors with his eyes. "I'm quite parched."

"Then I shall fetch you a glass of lemonade." Anthony replied, looking to his sister with a considerably softer gaze.

Just as he was ready to move she stopped him. "No. You have already done so much for me tonight. I shall return in a mere moment."

Anthony worked his jaw as he gazed at her, contemplating if he was happy to let his sister wander amongst the pack of dogs alone. He was decidedly not but he nodded all the same.

The moment Daphne stepped away from him, a small accomplished smile graced her lips. She greeted people with a dip of her head as she made her way to the refreshments table.

"Small glasses." A voice came from behind.

Turning, Lord Berbrooke, a man who wasn't exactly one of grace, stood, his own glass of lemonade in hand.

By way of being polite, Daphne dipped her chin. "Lord Berbrooke."

"Tiny little things, are they not?" He smiled.

"The glasses?" Daphne said, mildly confused. "I suppose."

"Then the matter is settled."

"I'm not entirely sure the matter in which we discuss, my Lord."

He took a step forward. Then another, until he ever so slightly entered Daphne's personal space. Most ungentlemanly like. "You've always amused me, Miss Bridgerton, ever since I was a schoolboy and you were. . ."