Chapter 3

'Nobody can guard your secrets

better than you, so do not blame

anyone for revealing your

secrets, for you could not hide

them yourself. Your secret is 

your prisoner, which if let loose 

it will make you its prisoner.'

- Imam Ali, Secrets

. . .

         It was an early morning for the women of the Bridgerton household.

Daphne, her mother and her sisters found themselves all sat in the drawing room, waiting upon the first of Daphne's suitors.

Nerves and excitement were quietly bubbling away in Daphne's stomach. She had so much she wanted to know of the men coming to vie for her hand and she couldn't help but wonder if the man she would fall in love with would be among them.

The doors opened, capturing both Daphne's and her mother's attention.

Though Daphne's excitement dulled when it was her brother who entered the room.

"Anthony. I did not expect to see you here this morning."

Violet Bridgerton had suspicion in her gaze as she looked upon her eldest son. "It is terribly early for you, dearest."

"I could not sleep for some reason." Anthony stepped over to the table plated with hors d'ourves. "All the excitement, I presume." I popped a piece of fruit in his mouth. "Am I the first gentleman to arrive?" He sat himself down of the couch of Daphne's choosing, a vibrant energy about him which was most unusual. "How wonderful."

Violet could only give her son a look of cautious reprimand. She knew exactly what game he was playing, though either he wasn't aware of the consequences it would result in for Daphne, or he simply chose not to pay them any heed.

Either way this wasn't going to bode well.

. . .

        Yet the debutants of the ton weren't the only ones to find themselves having a most busy morning.

Athena Lakewood found herself dressed in one of her finest gowns and was being led through the palace to the Queen herself.

She couldn't deny the apprehension she'd felt when she saw one of the Queen's personal messengers at her door that morning. Nor when he'd given her the Queen's invitation that less of an invitation and more akin to an order. Either way, the Queen was not to be denied.