7 | The Kings Pawn

I'm in my office, watching dawn slowly creep in the room, filling it with crimson and golden light

I'm in my office, watching dawn slowly creep in the room, filling it with crimson and golden light. I usually wake at this time, if I'm not already, spending the morning in here and savouring the colours the sky provides in each sunrise. The growing light reaches the surface of my desk and my thoughts drift to the reason sleep never took hold. I have a meeting with a Genovese, and Arabella moves in today. Instead of getting a good nights rest for todays battle, my mind refused to settle, so I threw myself in work.

I own one of the most prestigious companies in the world. The Rossi Empire was founded by my great-grandfather in the early nineteen hundreds, starting off in a simple restaurant on Mulberry street, soon building a jazz nightclub in the heart of Harlem. It only grew more viciously when my grandfather, Giuseppe Severino De Rossi, took the throne and expanded the business into hotels and real estate—sprawling our empire across States.

Now I continue the legacy. Fuelling The Rossi Empire into greater expectations and accomplishments.

And the same with Cosa Nostra.

I was born to be in my position in the Cosa Nostra, yes, but my rise didn't come without sacrifice, blood, tears and my very own set of scars. My grandfather wasn't going to hand down his business and mafia to just anyone. It had to be someone in his own creation. Someone whom he groomed and trusted wholly. Someone whom he taught the very fundamentals of both businesses and then some.

He made me work hard to get me where I am today: to become Don of the Cosa Nostra and CEO of The Rossi Empire. He was the best. But he needed me to be more—to become legendary.

And I am. My grandfather will always be remembered for his superiority, but it is my strategies and industrious mind that has catapulted both legal and illegal business into new advances, territory and claiming opportunities with an ironclad fist. Taking the empire across Europe and further in America. My relentless hard work has put The Rossi Empire in the Fortune 500, and made my mafia organisation one of the most feared and powerful.

I cut my gaze to my brothers lounging in my office.

Only an hour ago did they arrive. Lucian sits on the chesterfield beside the floor-to-ceiling bookshelf and across from him sits Matteo with paper work scattered around him. It was always going to be me leading both businesses. Not my uncles and cousins. Nor my disowned father. Or my half brothers—albeit they were groomed too, but for different purposes. The former being my cyber intelligence, and the latter my underboss.

We each have our own strengths and skills. But it's me who has the ruthlessness and cunningness that we need in this world. To survive it. To strength it. That is why our grandfather groomed me. Plus I'm the eldest grandchild.