5 | The Masters Weapon

I slip out of the guest house in the cover of darkness and make my way to the main manor, melting myself into a shadow

I slip out of the guest house in the cover of darkness and make my way to the main manor, melting myself into a shadow. Every step and boom of thunder causing more anger to ignite and my patience to run thin. The guards around the house heed me no mind as I walk straight through the front door and up the stairs to my room. The wind howls and the icy rain swirls as I stand out on the balcony, listening and watching.

For almost six months I have been thoroughly searching this damned fortress for the flash drive. To say I have had no luck, no clues, nothing, is a tragic understatement. I have five days before I leave for my next gilded cage, and it would make my life a lot easier to find it before I no longer live here.

I don't see that happening as I don't think the drive is even here.

And then there is the little problem of what Athena shown light to this morning at the range: that Grayson possibly has the paper copies of the evidence he has stacked against me. Another thing I need to find. Between that and the flash drive, I'm beginning to feel like I am on an endless and fruitless pursuit. It's becoming tedious, and I have no time to run around on a wild goose chase.

I need results. A win.

A knock comes from my bedroom door drawing me away from my thoughts. Sienna pokes her head in, concern written on her face as she spots me standing outside, drenched from the rain. "You will catch a chill if you continue to stand out in that rain, la mia rosa." She shuts the door behind her as I walk in, leaving the french doors open, needing the raging storm to calm my mind. "Your father mentioned that the Don is coming for dinner in an hour."

I grab my crimson silk dressing gown once I slip out of my wet black clothes—leaving my hair soaked and unbound. Relief floods me as I sit by the dressing table, where my hot ginger tea lays neatly on, courtesy of one of the maids. I sip, savouring the strong flavour before saying, "Much to my dismay."

"Arabella..."

Running my brush through my dark hair, I meet my mothers brown eyes through the mirror. "How long have you known about the deal?"

She walks up behind me, taking the brush from my hands and runs it through the wet strands. "Not long."

I assess her. "You don't seem concerned," she meets my stare as I gently grab her wrist. "Like you had a hand in this."

"Not with everything, la mia rosa. I had nothing to do with the deal." A soft smile paints her lips. "Albeit I may have pushed Anthony to consider having you move in with the Don before the wedding."

I swirl around, causing her to drop the hairbrush. "What did that cost you?" I barely catch the slight bob of her throat, but I do catch sight of the small cut in her hairline. "Mamma..."