Chapter Six (6)

Stunned was what you could describe the look on Matilda Matthew's face. Matilda liked Bryan. She had thought he was cute when she first met him in sixth grade but when he had accidentally touched her hand at a Halloween party she was struck by Ero's love arrow. She had always had a thing for flirty guys. She hadn't even realized just how much she liked him until he danced with Reggie. She probably should've, from the way her cheeks heated up when her friends teased her about him or the quickened pace of her heart when he smiled at her.

          She somehow was able to sneak away from her friends, who knew about her huge crush. She walked really fast out of the room and sat on a bench in the hallway outside. She was crying, not entirely on her own will. She really wanted to go back out there and push Reggie aside so she could dance with Bryan, and that he would magically forget about Reggie and fall for her.

          But she saw the way Bryan looked at Reggie, the thing he said. 'I like you, stupid.' She knew that Bryan really liked Reggie and although Matilda didn't want to, she couldn't help but adore the way they looked at each other. The looks kinda stung but they were real, and pure and she would have to accept that.

          Moments later, Caroline, the best one at comforting people, came up to her and asked if Matilda was okay. Matilda took a moment to breathe and get her voice back before answering. "y-yEAh..I'm okay. You can go back, Caroline, I'll be there in a minute. Just gotta freshen up real quick." Her smile small but there. Her friend looked at her with compassion. "I know you prefer being alone when you're sad but are you sure you don't want me to comfort you?" "Yes Caroline, just give me a quick hug and I'll be fine." Smiling sweetly, Caroline hugged Matilda and left after tapping her nose twice. Matilda giggled, remembering how much she loved her friends.

          Maybe it'd be okay to let Reggie have him. It would take some time for the jealousy to stop eating her and to fully get over Bryan but...maybe she'd find someone else. Georgia from the other class was pretty.

          Matilda wiped the almost dried tear stains off her cheeks and walked back into the party where people had seemingly moved on from talking about the very unexpected event, save for a couple people still a tad surprised and whispering while smirking or smiling. She found Caroline and her other friends, Laura and Eliza in the crowd. She smiled wryly and went to go join them in dancing badly, although Laura was actually an excellent dancer and Eliza took ballet lessons so perhaps it was just Caroline and Matilda who were dancing badly. Matilda noticed Bryan and Reggie were missing.