Prologue

(Writers note: I wrote the first few chapters when I was a new writer, so I'm sorry if it's really fast. I defiantly do not brand myself as a good writer, but I have big plans for this story.)

An explanation of the prologue.

Mother, father, and two children live on a Pacific Island. The father goes to the navy. Purge happens two weeks later, an earthquake awakens the volcano on the island and the family finds out that the ship the father is on is either captured or has crashed.

Jolono woke up to the sound of a siren. When it finally stopped, a voice came out, brought with a message.

"This is the 1st annual Purge. All crime, including murder, will be legal for twelve hours." As the voice faded, Jolono got up and went out to the living room. He had only heard of the Purge on Mainland, but he shrugged it off, thinking of it as just something that wouldn't really affect his family. They were a ways out of town and there wasn't much around, just an area with trees and a small dirt road. Though the house itself was quite large. He found his mother, Jocelyne, sitting on the L shaped couch.

"What was that announcement for? Has the Purge really moved to our island?" Jolono asked.

"Wake your sister, and get to the bunker." Jocelyne said blankly.

"Why?" Phaedra asked as she came into the room.

"What's going on?" Jolono asked.

"Get to the bunker. Now!" Their mother had never yelled like this before. Before anyone could react to her scream, the ground shook from underneath them, knocking them all to the ground. When it finally stopped, a radio exclaimed that the volcano that was on their island had just woken up from an earthquake. There was a large bang at the front door and someone raced into the living room with a chainsaw and mask.

"Shh." The man lifted his mask and they all recognized him as the man who recruited their father, and sent him onto the ship. "I have received news that your husband, and the ship he is on, has disappeared off the radar." His eyes were filled with regret and pain.

Another person came in with a sword and decapitated the man. The siblings screamed and panicked, having never seen real blood. Their mother yelled to run. The kids obeyed and ran to the back door, where their dock was located.

The two kids almost always had swimsuits on and knew how to swim for occasions similar to this one. They didn't slow down as their robes were thrown off as were their slippers. As they leaped off the dock, they felt the water go across their skin. The coolness chilling Jolono to the bone. The tide went out, and Jolono knew this was the most dangerous time of the water cycle. They couldn't fight it. It carried them away, much more powerful than their legs. Their heads went under and their mouths filled with water, they couldn't breathe nor swim. Jolono thought they were doomed, but a few moments later, they began to float up and they breached the surface. Jolono's lungs ached and he could see his sister coughing up water.