Chapter Two | The Second Circle

YEOREUM

The bath calms me down. Ms Kim is attentive enough to infuse the water with lavender oil to pacify my emotions. Certainly a commendable move.

I turn to the mirror to gaze at my tired eyes. I have only been living off IV drips for three days, but I seem to have lost a lot of weight. My round face has gained a chiselled v-line, and my collarbones are angular enough to carry coins. Objectively, I look like a ghost.

My feet feel feathery, but my head bears a vicious weight that towers over me. I grit my teeth and force my hands to rummage through the makeup products Ms Kim passed me when she informed me that Jungkook would like to see me prepared.

Eventually, I fish out a tube of BB cream, an eyelash curler, a red lip stain and a clear lip gloss. I am not experimenting with makeup—I have a plan. Jungkook is smart enough to know that I am smart. So the best thing I can do is to get on his good side, in other words, seduce him.

Jungkook expects me to rip my pride away, go on my knees and entertain him. But I can't do that. My starting point can't be that low. Thus, I have selected another tactic.

I pick out a silk nightgown with a sweetheart neckline. There is still a small red bruise lingering on my chest; it can draw Jungkook's attention. I pull my messy bun apart to let my long hair flow down my shoulders. My hair is still damp, subtly adding a suggestive touch to my look without seeming too crude.

Perfect. I slip an oversized robe over the top and make my way out of the bathroom.

Ms Kim examines me with narrowed eyes, apparently bewildered by the lack of boldness in my choice. I disregard her dissatisfaction and walk straight to the glass shelf on the other end of the room. I spotted a bottle of sherry there earlier.

Mrs Kim looks at me for a while and assumes I will set out the drinks. She fetches two highball cups and passes them to me.

"Thanks, but I do not need them," I say with a smile.

I chug the alcohol straight from the bottle. The bitter-sweet liquid sloshes down my throat, warming my body with a dizzyingly pleasant sensation.

Ms Kim's lips flutter in shock as she watches me finish half a bottle of the alcohol without batting an eyelash. "Please be careful with your decisions," she says coldly.

I stash the sherry bottle in the drawer behind me as soon as Ms Kim turns around (just in case prohibition ever strikes this castle). I will definitely not be able to relax around Jungkook without booze, so I'll probably have to come back to this later.

I take the gold candle lighter and rose candle from the side of the shelf to the table Ms Kim prepared. I flick the lighter on and place the flame over the wick. The glowing cherry beneath my fingers projects a captivating glisten. A smile touches my lips when the warmth scorches me.

Ms Kim flits her eyes to me, silently warning me with her glare. I look to her arms that are dithering to hold me captive, and a soft chuckle slips from my mouth.

"Burning myself would be way too painful, so I will never consider it," I say, reaching for the wool blanket she gave me earlier. "I am going to take a nap."

Ms Kim watches me lie down on the mahogany lounge with a sigh and leaves the room. She's probably disappointed in my lack of collaboration. That's okay, though. I'm trying to seduce Jungkook, not her.

As soon as I'm Ms Kim has left, I undo my robe and pull down a gown strap to reveal a corner of my breast. Now, all I need to do is wait.

Jungkook's footsteps soften as he realises that I am sleeping. I can feel his gaze move down my body like teeth.