Chapter Six | Shame to Wear a Heart so White

YEOREUM

My birthday soon arrives, and Jungkook gives me the best birthday present I can ask for besides freedom by failing to take off the entire day.

Evening falls, and the castle door squeaks open, suggesting Jungkook's arrival. I glance at The Great Gatsby's last lines before I rush outside to give Jungkook a warm greeting. As much as I despise playing along with Jungkook, I have a father and a brother waiting for me.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. The very upsetting line lurks in my mind. Hopefully, my escape plan will work, and I won't be borne back into this prison again and again.

I cling to Jungkook as soon as I see him like a child that has been left alone for too long. He gladly accepts my eagerness and carries me to a room filled with present boxes.

"Everything here is for you," Jungkook says as he fishes a red leather box out of his suit pocket. "But I hope you'll give this some extra attention."

I take the box with a feigned look of surprise. This jewellery is from the same jeweller who constructed my wedding ring. Is Jungkook doing this to test if I am still ruminating over Taehyung? I remind myself to be careful as I click the box open.

A silent sigh of relief escapes me when I see the diamond necklace on the silk cushion. It doesn't seem like a morbid prank.

"I carved our names on the back of the diamond pendant," Jungkook says, intently fixing his gaze on me. "This way, I'll always be close to your heart."

Jungkook lifts the necklace out of the box and secures the white gold bead chain around my neck. The opulent material pierces a coldness through my skin. I feel like hundreds of mini tiger teeth are chomping at my neck.

"Do you like it?" Jungkook says. He blinks at me like a child who is handing in their homework.

"Yes, it looks amazing," I say as I droop my head. "But a ring would have also been cute."

Surprise blooms in Jungkook's eyes like fireworks, glistening for my attention. He clasps my shoulders to scrutinise my sincerity better before he pulls me into an embrace, his arms tremor with excitement.

"I thought of it, but I didn't want to scare you," Jungkook says.

"Why would I be scared?" I brace my arms around him. "I like you, Jungkook."

My heart fluxes in disgust, but I suppress the urge to spit in Jungkook's face. I have an escape plan to execute, a father to save, and a lover to see one last time. I need to control my emotions.

Jungkook freezes for a full minute before he finally processes my so-called confession. He pulls away and shivers to meet my gaze. The excitement in his eyes flickers even brighter than before.

"What did you say, Yeoreum?" Jungkook stutters as if he has just hit a billion-dollar jackpot.

Jungkook presses his forehead against mine with a wide smile. Our eyelashes brush across each other as the warmth of our breath coils like two snakes battling to behead each other, making every exhale an inhale.

I draw my lips next to Jungkook, teasing to kiss him.

"I said, I like you, Jungkook."

Jungkook kisses me, gently venturing into every corner of my mouth to seal me with his sweetness. I obediently respond to his passionate touch with the same amount of yearning to convince him of my sincerity.

Jungkook thrusts his hand up my thigh. He doesn't roll up my mini dress for the meat of his palm to press even tighter against my flesh. Heat tightens my stomach, making me want to stick out my body for him to fuck me.