Guide to the world of the Hidden

Hidden: General term for any race that's not human. The Hidden live in hidden cities and communities alongside human kind. They are aware of each other, though humans tend to forget that the Hidden exist, like when you ignore a painting on the wall after many years, only to notice it after looking closely. Many Hidden also live with the humans to live magic free, normal lives.

Races:

Witches: A race of all females who use magic by harnessing it through wands or some other form of conduit. They are the brightest of the Hidden, and are the most academically adept.

Warlocks: A race of all males, and counter parts to the Witches. They harness magic through the use of a wand or some other form of conduit. They are the brightest of the Hidden, and are the most academically adept.

Shifters: A race of shapeshifters who often live in packs or communal dwellings. Each shifter can only turn into one animal, and it may be any animal that's ever lived, with the exception of anything that lives strictly in water. They cannot harness other forms of magic besides the rare Shaman.

Fae: A race of blue-skinned, winged beings who fly through the sky. They use magic by collecting it with their wings, and need to do this regularly to recharge their magic. They often use tattoos and magical objects as well. They value beauty above all other things.

Vampires: A race of beings who are undead creatures. While relying on the life-force of the living to survive, the vampires are a primarily lazy race, who'd rather spend their time playing video games than siphoning the souls of others. Their magic is gained from the life-force of living things.

Necromancers: A race of beings who harness the power of death itself. They have no need for a conduit, and instead have an organ called a Caller that collects magic for them naturally. Of all the races, they are the most feared and reviled of the Hidden, and are natural enemies of the magi.

Magi: A race of beings who harness the power of all magic itself. They are separated into two categories: Light and Dark. The magi have an organ called a Caller that collects magic naturally. Each magi is born able to summon one to two kinds of magic, and are known for their eyes that change color.

Angels: Rulers of the skies, angels are harsh users of Light magic, who are vain and often cruel to those beneath them. They hate demons more than anything, and will go to any lengths to stop them.

Demons: Rulers of the Dark Layer, demons are cruel and merciless, who wish to destroy all in their way. They are often at war with the magi of the Light Layer.

Layers:

The world of the Hidden is spread out across four layers, each different and unique in their own right. The only way for an average Hidden to go between them is through Planar Portals.

Earth Layer: The second smallest of the four, Earth is home to both the Hidden and Humans.

Spirit Layer: The smallest of the four, the Spirit Layer is a dead zone, only occupied by the spirits of the damned. It is nothing but ash and dust, where nothing lives or grows.

Light Layer: Bigger than Earth, the Light Layer is home to the Light Magi, and ruled by the Pillar. Their empire dominates the entirety of the layer, and is where the magi and demons often fight.

Dark Layer: Home to the demons, a literal fiery hell, the Dark Layer is the largest of the layers, where there is nothing but fire and lava. It's secrets are as old as time itself.

Magic:

Magic is supplied to the Hidden from leylines that run through and between the Layers. It comes in two different types: Dark and Light. Each is unique and special in their own right. All magic can be used through writing, with the strange exception of necromancy, though beings like the magi don't bother as it is inconvenient.

Light magics: Light, Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Ice, Nature, Summoning, Law, Electricity.

Dark magics: Darkness, Shadow, Blood, Siphoning, Hexes, Curses, Pain, and Necromancy.

Terms:

Aspect: Primordial element of the world. I.e. Love, Life, Light, so on and so forth.

Big Boy: Powerful Hidden heroes whose abilities far exceed that of a normal hero.

Hero: General term for anyone who wishes to do good in the world.

Kam: Goddess of the magi religion the Four Squares. Each side of her holy square represents a unique aspect of life: Birth, Life, Death, Afterlife.

Lords and Ladies: Powerful Hidden who have claimed an Aspect. There can only be one Lord and one Lady per aspect.

Province: Similar to human countries, the ten provinces of Earth are the territories of the Hidden.