The Reply

My dearest Astoria, 

Astoria my darling, I have received your letter and I am to inform you the war will be at a draw and I will return home to new york soon. I am in good health and alexander says thank you for the best wishes and he promises to always be kind to Eliza, I will gladly attend their wedding with you my love, Lafayette said somethings that made alexander become less serious but others found it amusing, he said if Hamilton cam do it there is hope for all our asses after all. I wish you best on your  garden my dearest Astoria, I shall return home soon give my best to Peggy I know she means well please remain safe my love when I return to new york the redcoats wont be a problem please write again soon the others wish to hear more of what is progressing in new york Give my best to Eliza, may she always be true to alexander. Stay safe my dearest I will be home soon.

J. Laurens

John signed the letter and folded the parchment slipping it into a letter sealing it with a green wax and his press flipping it over carefully and writing on the front For A. Frank Leaving it on his desk in the bunk he shared with Alexander he headed back to the trenches hoping the red coats would surrender soon. the war had now gone on for weeks and he wished to return to new york and maybe take a break for the summer Alexander had invited him and Astoria to stay with and them for the summer upstate and he accepted as they looked across the trenches to the red coats standing on pedestal and waving a white clothe of their surrender.