Chapter 8 (EDITED)

Why do I have to keep waking up with a huge headache!? The floor underneath me is cold and slightly damp. I am afraid to open my eyes, but I do that anyway. The walls are a great color with a bared window that is just above the ground, the opposite wall from me is a wall of bars.

I hear footsteps sound from a distance and I back up to one of the farthest corner as the footsteps stop in front of me.

"LACEY!" Gwen exclaims while sticking her arms through the bars I immediately go to her and hug her through the bars.

She hugs me back as another pair of arms hug me as well. I pull away and see Gwen and her mom holding onto the bars.

"Are you okay, Lacey?" Gwen's mom asks with a concerned expression.

I only nod my head for my voice has left me when my gaze is set on Trevor. His jaw is set while his yellow eyes glow with anger.

He just stares at us and then opens a bared door that I didn't see. Trevor's loud footsteps sound in the tiny room as he stalks towards me like a mountain lion chasing a deer. I make a sound that sounds kind of like a whinny and push myself further into the corner.

He stops feet away from me and crouches down to my level. "What were you doing to get yourself attacked?" He asks in that heavenly voice that send shivers down my spine.

"I-I don't know-w. My inner self-f took con-control and led me t-to the building. Then that boy attacked me..."

I shiver at the memory of the weird boy. I look anywhere but him and my eyes land on Gwen. Her eyes are are sad and angry as they look at me and Trevor.

"You better not be lying to me, my little mate, or else you won't be able to shift ever again." He says while standing up and looks around the room. "This whole room is surrounded by silver and you won't be able to shift unless I let you out."

I look to Gwen for support and she nod her head as in to show him. I nod back be for closing my eyes and letting myself shift, but I keep the horse appearance on.

Trevor's mouth drops and his eyes look like they will pop out of his head as I a done shifting, my poor clothing on the floor in shreds.

"B-but. That's not possible. How? Gwen, what did you do?!"

Gwen flinches at her brothers tone. Rebecca fights against me for control but I push her back and stand next to the bars closest to Gwen. I glare angrily at him.

"Look at this. You are being protected by a shifter. A shifter! She shouldn't be here. She should be where that werewolf left her!" He yells at me and I cry out I pain and fall to the cold floor.

Rebecca cries out to him as he falls as well. Two footsteps rush into the room but I already know that it is Gwen and her mother. The pain in my chest increases as Trevor says something but I don't make it out before I fall unconscious once again.

[DREAM]

"DADDY!" I screamed and the men with the fire turn their attention to me as arms go around me and pick me up.

I hear shouting and the woman turning into the pink haired unicorn. She places me on her back and runs as fast as she can. I clutch onto her mane as the yelling slowly dies down and we stop at a waterfall.

It's my waterfall. The unicorn jumps into it and my cave is empty and looks unused. I'm picked up and sat down onto the cold stone as she turns back into the woman. She picks me up and whispers things into my ear as I slowly drift off to sleep.

"Lacey? Lacey, are you awake?" A voice says I open my eyes to that room that I first came into. Gwen sits in a chair next to me.

"What happened?" I asks quite confused why and how I was in my room. Surely no one carried me here...did they?

"Do your really want to know?" She asks and I nod my head. "Well...since my idiot of a brother didn't tell you what a mate is, I will. A mate is your other half that is supposed to love you forever but my brother-" She looks down sadly as I see tears fill her eyes.

I gently nudge her chin with my nose. "Please tell me."

She takes in a deep breath before continuing. "Trevor rejected you as his mate. Marcus, the doctor, said that you couldn't handle the rejection and so you probably won't be able to shift." She sobs and hugs my neck. I hug her to my best ability and I feel her tears fall on my neck.

I hear the door open and my head whips around and I attempt to bite the person. The person grabs my nose and shushes me to calm me down. The person is the 'doctor' and he let's go of my nose. I snort and shake my head.

"I don't like it when people grab my nose." I say and Gwen giggles.

"What are you laughing about, Gwen?" The doctor asks.

"She doesn't like it when you grab her nose." Gwen manages to answer.

"And how do you know that?" He asks curiously.

Gwen looks to me for permission and I nod. "Well, she has created a mind link with me and my mom." The doctor just looks at me oddly.

"How does she do that?" He asks.

"Don't tell them yet. I don't think I can handle anymore stress." I said and Gwen sent me a sympathetic look.

"She doesn't want me to say anything just yet." Gwen explains and gently playing with my bangs.

The doctor gives us odd looks but nods in understanding. "Very well then. I won't push anything. I just came in to check on her. Rejection can be a very harmful thing. Trevor is still unconscious."

I whinnied in concern and took a step forward. "Is he okay?"

Gwen repeats my question and the doctor shrugged. "I don't know. I will evaluate his condition once he wakes up. I suggest that you get her away from here before he wakes up. Who knows what he will do."

"I understand. I just need to get some things real quick. Be right back." She said to me before running out of the room. I turned to the doctor who had turned to look at me.

"I'm just going to check you for anything, alright. I won't harm you. I only have concern over your health." I nodded and allowed him to poke and prod at me. Oddly enough, I fell asleep as he continued to rub my neck and head.